PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Was smoking my James Upshall today realized it doesn't have the "Tilshead, England, Made by Hand" stamp on the right side of the shank; or anywhere for that matter. Only the grade "P" next to "James Upshall" in the oval on the left side of the shank. Anyone know why there isn't a "Tilshead, England" stamp ?

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
img_0358-600x448.jpg
img_0362-600x448.jpg
img_0363-600x448.jpg

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
That feels like a small victory just getting the images uploaded! So the only markings on on the stem which is the "JU" in a circle, and the "P JAMES UPSHALL" in an oval on the left side of the shank.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think Jensen may have it. Wow, that is a beautiful P and classic Upshall shape.

Good job getting the photos up!
I'm moving this to the British Pipes section.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Thanks ss, its my first Upshall (that is until I make it back to the shop and pick up another one of the estates they have there), and it absolutely smokes like a dream.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Yes, they were very fine pipes then.

On 10 Sept. an unsmoked Upshall dublin silver mounted

went for £ 410 on e bay UK.

The pipe had no stampings at all but is was an Upshall,

no doubt.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
What a beautiful P grade and from 1984-1989. I would love to see the whole pipe.

Yes Jensen, the reverse stamps have been missed - human error and very rare might I add. This is the first Upshall I have ever seen with no 'Tilshead England' 'Made by Hand' stamps.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Ken, here are a few other pictures of the pipe. It you look close the only quirk the pipe has is that when looking at the bowl with the shank/stem on the opposite side, the right side of the bowl is sloped slightly more than the left towards the bottom of the bowl. I think it gives the pipe a nice character! Each time I smoke it that spot reminds me that it was hand made and makes me appreciate the skill needed to make these pipes.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Beautiful grain! I know that many people consider very fine grain/Angel hair grain the best but my most favourite grain is this type. It strongly reminds me of the early 1970s Charatan Supreme grain. Gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.