PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just received an email from Payless saying the following.
"Due to new shipping restrictions from UPS, all filtered and small cigars must be shipped via US Postal Service."
How long is it before UPS says they won't ship pipe tobacco? What happens if USPS says no more tobacco shipments? This is totally screwed up in my opinion. One more thing we pipe smokers are going to have to deal with.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Which is funny because UPS is the go to shipper for guns.
Try shipping a gun through FedEx. Sheesh.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Here's the deal. UPS is franchised. Although the parent company says they will not ship tobacco products, many UPS stores do anyway because the franchise owner is in the business of making money. I have some customers who ship via UPS. I tell them to simply pack the boxes themselves and when shipping, tell UPS that the contents are "second hand collectible tins" which is a defensible position because that is exactly what they are.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I personally don’t think they’ll turn down that kind of money. They make good dough from internet tobacco sales and taking a stance like that would surely cost them. If they do however, I’m sure USPS would be happy to pick up their business, if not them, than FedEx. We have seen stores like CVS remove their entire line of tobacco products but that’s a whole other story.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That UPS link says that only licensed dealers are allowed to ship tobacco. Yet Payless who is licensed is being told:
", all filtered and small cigars must be shipped via US Postal Service."
Why all of a sudden are those two categories being singled out?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
THIS is a timely post. Today (3/19/18) I went to my local UPS store to ship some tobacco to a forum member here (Hyde Park, one unopened tin and a ziploc of opened loose leaf). I used a padded envelope per usual. The guy flat out asked me if I was shipping tobacco (I think he might know me?). I said I was shipping treats (not a lie, not the full truth). He then smelled it and handed it back and said, "we can't ship tobacco."
So I took it to another store and the guy there didn't ask. All went well. Hopefully.
But ... Wow. That was a very very noticeable change to me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In AZ it has been a felony since 2012 to order any tobacco product on the internet, or by phone, mail, etc, with the exception of cigars and pipe tobacco.
It's likely only a matter of time until those 2 exceptions are eliminated.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
brian,

In AZ it has been a felony since 2012 to order any tobacco product on the internet, or by phone, mail, etc, with the exception of cigars and pipe tobacco.
It's likely only a matter of time until those 2 exceptions are eliminated.
When the state of Florida instituted an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco back around 2009 or so it made me an internet customer exclusively. I refuse to go to my local guy(even though he is good people) and pay that tax. I have been waiting for the time when all tobacco sales into this state are forbidden. I know it is coming some day and I am ready for whatever they bring.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
It's already a done deal on cigs, chew, snus. It's always been just a matter of time for the rest. States want their revenue and big tobacco wants to shut down competition. I just keep cellaring away.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco
That is so absurd. Punitive taxation of any kind should be prohibited imo.
Brian, that restriction on shipping cigarettes, snus, snuff and chew is a Federal law.
Doesn't surprise me, but I'm not familiar with the specifics of the federal restrictions.
I do know though that AZ has their own specific law regarding all of that, and it specifies the exceptions of cigars and pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.