PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Kicking myself for not taking a before photo...
Anyhow, I have a very nice blasted billiard shape McArris (Ashton made, I believe) that has been frustrating me for awhile now. The stem has a very steep tapered shape down to a very small and thin fishtail at the tip. As a result, I have a hard time holding this one in my teeth when smoking and I can see me biting through that small fishtail anyday now. Being the clencher I am, I'm tough on stems to begin with.
A quick phone call to Tim West and out in the mail it went. As much as I like keeping my pipes as original as possible, I have not been enjoying this one and it would be shame to not give a qualified repairman a shot at making it more user friendly. Can't wait to see how it comes out!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I hope that works out well for you. I'm a clencher too and it causes me to want to get rid of some of my pipes....can't clench a churchwarden :evil:

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks guys. I've read a lot of good comments on Tim's work and I'm sure this will be nothing for him. I'm dumping the taper and going with a saddle bit on this pipe. It's such a nice pipe and smokes very well however I'm sick having to bite higher up on the stem to try to keep in place only to have it still slide around. I've almost dropped this pipe on several ocassions.

Status
Not open for further replies.