PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Well, I got both of them and have had a couple days to clean up and get to know them. First of all, the Pete is actually unsmoked. It's in fantastic shape with only the work of the gorilla who "de-oxydized" the stem to clean up after. It's got a great tactile blast and should be a nice pipe. Still haven't decided whether I want to keep it but I am happy I got it.
The LPI is a true thing of beauty. Huge and surprisingly light, only 52 grams, it is quite the smoker. The only thing that surprised me was the stem is drilled for a 9mm filter...hmm. Will smoke it again and report on it later.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Good to hear ! Try to post some pics. If you decide not to keep the Pete ( I assume it's the older Royal Irish from the other posting ) send me a PM and I will trade you something for it 8)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That stem didn't seem to fit the pipe, stylistically, the way it was shaped at the mortise end. Making room for a 9mm filter explains it. You would expect a Danish "fancy" type of stem.

Aug 1, 2012
Aftermarket mod?
When I hold the pipe and look over the construction, I doubt it. It would have required re-drilling the mortise to accept the larger tenon. It also includes a spot where the flare at the end of the tenon is fitted into a step in the mortise. That would be one hell of an aftermarket job to take on.
As for the type of stem, it is the same cut for the bit as I've seen on 2 other LPIs. Again hell of a job to replicate. Also, I personally would not necessarily expect a Danish style stem on an Italian or American shape of pipe (looks Italian in the shape and rustication technique to me but my experience is limited). The shape flows quite well in person as well. It might also bear out that Barry Levin got many different pipe makers if this one turned out to be German.
lpi-pipe-600x228.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It does look like a very well made stem, I must say. I can see the possible Italian aesthetic. I think the rustication is great.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very interesting, captain. Maybe this could be a European-made (i.e., not Cooke-made) LPI. Did you ever consider writing Cooke to ask about this pipe? I suspect he might remember whether he made 9mm tenons or not.

Aug 1, 2012
I thought about it but honestly I am a bit hesitant. No real reason I guess, just that you don't want to be smacked down by one of the greats. Still might work up the courage though.
Here's some pics that, while they don't do them justice, will give an idea about them together.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I dunno, that LPI looks very precisely drilled to me. Could be Cooke. And yet, the LPI logo is totally different from others I've seen. It's fun trying to figure all of this out in any case.

Aug 1, 2012
that LPI looks very precisely drilled to me
It passes a pipe cleaner without even any turning or working around. Also almost works like a reverse calabash with the big filter chamber.
It's fun trying to figure all of this out in any case.

Too true. I love a good mystery.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's a nice looking pipe, regardless. Is that actual plateau on the rim or is that also rusticated?

Aug 1, 2012
As far as I can tell, it's plateau. It's very uneven around the rim radius with the left side being significantly higher so lighting can be a bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.