PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
As a lot of you know, we adopted an American Staffordshire Terrier, aka: a pit breed, back in August. She was a rescue dog who had been very mistreated by the previous owners of the people we got her from. She is adjusting very well to our family. She is my boys best friend often playing superhero together. They love to break off tree limbs off of our tree, my oldest boy who is pictured below bends a stick for Abby who then pulls and pulls on the stick to pull it off of the tree. Abby sits at my feet outside while I have my smoke and keeps me company. She has gotten all of her confidence back and is very obedient. We have a old persian cat that doesn't like her but Abby doesn't even care she is around. Every night when my boys go to bed she has to go in and give them a lick on the face to make sure they are ok, if she doesn't do that, she will sit at there door until my wife or myself lets her in the room to check on them. I have to admit, there was a little trepidation about owning a pit breed but that is gone now. She is the type of dog that will and has helped people realize that she is not the terrible animal that people make them out to be. Funny, story there was a lady walking by my house and Abby was outside, she looked over and saw her behind the fence and yelled "Oh my God a pit bull", and ran across the street. My neighbor who lives across the street from me who hates dogs told her she was over reacting because Abby was the nicest dog she has ever met. Well, enough of a novel. Some people have asked about the dog and I was happy to give an update.
EzekielandABBY_zpsc2e7198d.jpg

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
That is a beautiful dog and a beautiful story, I've heard plenty of horror stories about mistreated dogs but a little love goes a long way! It seems you've found yourself a great companion, congratulations. How old is she? My yellow lab is seven and has been the best of companions and luckily, she is still in great health. Good health to you and yours!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I don't normally go for 'sentimental' posts, but this one grabbed me. I'm not a vet but it seems to me that even dogs that were originally bred for fighting, or naturally tenacious terriers, are not necessarily aggressive by nature. Their behaviour has much to do with early training; while your pit bull bitch was mistreated, it seems she was not trained to be aggressive. She is indeed a lovely animal, and I like how she will not settle at night until she checks on the rest of 'her pack'.
A great post Bigboi, not least because there is an image in the UK of 'A man, his dog, a pipe and slippers'!! That is me, at this moment, with a Peterson's Supreme 1/2 Bent Chimney loaded with GH&Co Balkan Flake - Hog Heaven!!!!!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Thank you Big for the update, Watched Marley and Me late into the night while wife was sleeping , Good and Sad, the look on your sons face tells it all, animals are not mean, Humans make them mean, you did a good thing.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I used to hate Pits because of a couple of run-ins I'd had with some very aggressive ones. Then a buddy of mine got one, at which point I said he was crazy! It turned out to be the sweetest dog! Her name is Dasha, she's a great dog! Loyal, and highly protective of her family. She's just a big baby! She actually looks a lot like yours.

That's a beautiful dog you have there, and I'm glad to see it has a good home!

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Thank you for adopting from a shelter. I am personally involved with helping the one in my area. We adopted a rescue over 10 years ago. They guess he was around 8 years old then. He is completely blind now and going deaf, but he still wags his tail when happy and eats like a champ. I joke about the only way to tell how old he is is when he dies they will have to cut him in half and count the rings. My family does not care for that one , but it makes me chuckle. Thanks again for supporting your local shelter.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. She is a great dog!

@tbradsim1 I haven't seen that movie yet, will have to check it out.

@shayde the vet seems to think she is about 1.5 - 2 years old.

@craig94yj She isn't a shelter dog, just a rescue that was posted on my wive's fb wall from her cousin. The family we got her from who had originally rescued her couldn't keep her because the landlord wouldn't allow pits on the property. Though we considered adopting from the local shelter and probably will when the time is right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great story and thanks for sharing it.
I used to hang out with a cigar buddy who owned 2 pit bulls, they were incredibly well behaved and very loving dogs. I had no problem letting them hang out with my young children and the dogs would go swimming with my kids on a regular basis in our pool. Any dog can be mistreated and turned into a dangerous animal, it is up to the owner to make a dog loving and friendly.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
At the turn of the century a "pit" was considered a wonderful family dog - loyal and protective. Any dog is as good or as bad as it's owner. I'm glad Abby got lucky and found a great family! Thanks for the update.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Awesome, glad she is a great part of the family.
We love out dog Theo. He is struggling to share the spotlight with our sob however :)

Status
Not open for further replies.