PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhannafin59

Lurker
Jun 4, 2015
Don't throw that old bunt out pipe away.

After sanding the bowl down,

I filled the hole in the bottom of the bowl with a mix of briar dust and glue.

After drying I sanded flush, then stained and waxed.

I do not smoke many cigars, so I went the way of purchasing pipe cement from Aristocob.com. They sell a mix at a very reasonable price of one dollar a package.

I filled the burnt out bowl up to the draft hole with the pipe cement and let it dry for two days.

I am smoking my new Dunhill Root Briar now and enjoying it completely. Nice smoke for a thirty five dollar price tag.

See before and after photos.
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Nice fix.
jp- I believe that is what the pipe cement/cigar ash aims to accomplish. Although it'll have to be babied for a while since the heel will always get soft after smoking until a full and proper cake is developed.

jhannafin59

Lurker
Jun 4, 2015
Yes, the pipe cement was used to thicken the bottom of the burnt out bowl. It will become harder as I smoke and will eventually be indistinguishable from the naturally forming cake. Pipe cement is often used on Corn Cob pipes to fix or prevent burn out but people use it on all kinds of pipes.

It's such a great feeling to give an old pipe a new life.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Great work!!! The only lost cause seems to be a cracked bowl. Everything else seems somehow fixable. Great work!! I wouldn't have thought it came out so nicely.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
That's a nice fix. Good tip on the pipe cement. Going to get some for a couple of side bowl burn outs I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.