PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've posted before concerning my reef aquarium. Ive been working on it a lot lately and have finally reached the other side of a nasty hairy algae outbreak that threatened to destroy it. I've begun growing my own phytoplankton and saltwater brine shrimp. It's the stuff in the reef you can't see that matters most. People get too hung up on the chemistry of reef tanks, but it's the microfauna that matters most. Today I received an insanely colored coral called a Symphyllia Wilsoni, referred to a Wilsoni. This particular specimen is one of the nicest I've ever seen. The are quite rare, small, and kinda pricey, but a really interesting/beautiful coral. These tanks can be true nightmares. From algae breakouts to unexplained deaths, equipment failures to flooding my entire loft and those of my neighbors... I trudge onwards. Anyone who claims reef aquariums are "relaxing" isn't doing it right. They're relaxing for guests, but not the keeper :)

Anyways, here's an updated photo of the tank and close ups of a few pieces :)
This is the Wilsoni...

A couple mushroom corals, not rare, but pretty

Aquarium shot

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the microfauna, it sounds like you are out to create a self sustaining coral ecosystem. Very lovely additions, have always wanted to put together a cephalopod aquarium, but many of them don't fare well in captivity.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Almost forgot... also a couple months ago I added the Weirdest animal I have ever seen, a Sea Apple.... the tree like appendage is like a tongue. So weird!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah CM, it's because assuming you can even confine it, they are EXTREMELY messy eaters yet require prestine water. This makes it exceedingly difficult to keep water clean. They are a lot of work, requiring at the very least a couple of hours/day 24/7/365. That's difficult! I'd love one also and even have the time... but no thank you

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
This is too cool! I'd love to have something like this, but I have three kids and they are enough to worry about as is at the moment ha! Great pictures!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Much thanks! It's a great hobby! I grew up around my fathers reef tank. He is a chemical engineer. I am not, but I get by.
Here's a video I took of the sea Apple feeding. There isn't any current. All movement is the Apple on its own... so weird, but beautiful.

Sea Apple

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I really wasn't kidding when I said weirdest animal ever. Those yellow things are it's legs. If stressed they are able to release enough poison to wipe my tank out completely... so I am careful to keep it happy :)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hahaha it just keeps getting cooler. Although there are many interesting parallels to my mother-in-law...does it have a law degree, by any chance? :D

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Very cool. I have a hard enough time with my fresh water tank. Mad respect for tanking on a project like this!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Dancing on the head of a pin there, Nate. One tiny mistake, one blink of an eye, and all that money, hard work, not to say all those living things will crash and burn. Hope you can keep it running.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Very cool indeed. I just love the colors. It must be very relaxing to sit and just stare at your own personal slice of natural beauty.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
N8 --- You should definitely add one of these to your tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7ByiYbCYM

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
The Sea Apple is positively Lovecraftian, too cool!
@georged Sometimes they show up all on their own, brought in with a piece of live rock. I recall reading an article about a guy who didn't know why his fish were disappearing.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You should definitely add one of these to your tank:
Jeees. A fish monster. You'd have to buy the apartment downstairs and extend the fish-tank to the floor below. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.