PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Well fellas, it been about two weeks and I'm still enjoying my pipe. I'm getting much better at packing, lighting, and smoking. Other than cobs, all I have is a cheap HOT smoking Italian(Mercato) billiard and can now get through a whole bowl with no gurgle and almost no bite :)

I am a long time nail smoker and only smoke now for the fix. I do roll my own and choose tobacco and tube combos that suited my tastes but boy was I missing out! I think now that choosing cig tobaccos for flavor is like telling a kid to choose broccoli over peas!

I wanted to say that I have learned three very important things in my hrs of research and practice smoking pipe,

1. Pack the tobacco looser than you think you need to.

2. Tamp with force and less often than thought needed.

3. Sip the pipe slower than you think you need to.
I had no idea smoking pipe could taste so damn good! I smoked 6 cigs and 4 bowls yesterday and this a.m. had one smoke on the way to the john and so far couldn't bring myself to light another! I so badly want to quit those things. My health isn't good but my lungs and heart are still strong so it;s time to quit. I've smoked a pack+ for 25yrs and have never been able to quit so this is a very nice change. And it's wife approved! Thank you all for the answers and helpful suggestions! Now off to the Bay so I can try to snag a couple different styles of estate pipes to try out.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Glad you discovered that you can enjoy the pleasures of tobacco through pipe smoking with less cost to both your wallet and health over cigarettes.
It sounds like you're on your way. Good luck.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're doing well for such a short time. As you further develop your skills you'll find yourself trying different blends. That's the fun part of the hobby; the elusive search for the perfect blend. Good luck and keep us advised.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I went from cigarettes to a pipe also and the biggest hurdle for me was SLOWING DOWN. If a pipe doesn't last at least 45 minutes you're going too fast.
I would also recommend getting a better pipe. Cheap pipes are cheap for a reason; poor briar which hasn't been properly cured, drilled or cut is unlikely to yield a good smoke.
Finally I hope you're smoking a good tobacco. Stay away from drugstore brands and those bulk bags from Walmart. Again, a good smoke requires good materials.
Good luck and keep us updated.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Buying a good pipe on e-Bay can be tricky for a newbie. There are many good pipes out there, but many are

put up for auction because others have found them wanting in some way. (Like it fell in a toilet bowl!)
IMO, you will find some excellent budget pipes at Pipes And Cigars.com; and price-wise, you'll probably do better

with a new budget pipe than a used pipe that someone has obviously rejected for some unknown reason.

Jul 12, 2011
agree with bigvan, a good pipe and bacci is key...even some nice MM-cobs smoke fantastic for only a few dollars...bacci as well from online sites are pretty reasonable (if your area is hit with HIGH taxes) smokingpipes.com has great selection as others pipesandcigars 4noggins all have good pricing....explore the blends with good Virginia and Va/Pers (Orlik Golden sliced, Dunhill Flake, Escudo, etc.) and perhaps med-english blends (Low Country Cooper, SG-SL, Dunhill London Mix, Dunhill EMP) all in all smoke what you like and like what you smoke I always say to new pipe-smokers....

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
EVERY otc tobacco I have tried has been OK to awful. My Dad brought me a big ol' bag of Burley and Gold from Walgreen's I think it was. That was awful, nasty, vile, and painful to learn on. I threw it away as soon as I made back to the tobacco shop. Of the 4-5 otc's the only I enjoyed was Middleton's Black & Mild. I smoked tons of their little cigars over the yrs and really like it in a big fat cob. Mostly what I have done so far is an ounce of the shops "equivalent" to the otc's. I don't really like the aro's too much but sorta like their version of Cpt. Black. At this point my favorite is our local shop's blend "Proper English". I forgot to ask what's in it and sometimes it's a bit too strong, but man does it taste good! The other one I like is their "half&half" so at least I know if I'm desperate for my pipe and I'm out I can get it down the road.

Pipes and cigars.com has great prices and when I consider time, fuel, and trouble it's way more convenient. Anyone use their stuff and can you recommend based on what I'm liking so far? The Middleton's is Black Cavendish and I like it, but I need help picking an English blend that is maybe a bit milder than what is considered "proper" English.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
It never hurts to try different types of pipes as well. A clay will give a good taste of the tobacco itself, as will a fresh meerschaum. When a new blend doesn't do well in a briar, my gourd calabash or a Lepeltier may be better because of the extra air in the pipe. Brigham filters are open, so they allow the smoke to pass and wick away moisture and some tars. Then there are plethora of system pipes out there. Heck, I have one that lights from the bottom! The fun is in the sampling, it's why we collect the things, lol.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've consistently seen Haddo's Delight as a good one to switch from cigs, but my brother says it's too strong. I really like it.
Also, check Etsy for pipes. There are some sellers (not me, my store is EMPTY ATM) that are selling carved pearwoods for decent prices. I started on a pear and it's nice because the tobaccos are a little sweeter and if I overheat it, it's not a disaster. The walls are crazy thick on them. You may also want to check the buy/sell/trade section of this forum - we have some members who make beautiful things. :D

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
pipesandcigars.com has nice beechwood pipes at a very nice price. Beech was used extensively in Northern Europe during the war and for a while after due to the scarcity of briar. It makes a good pipe.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My brother swears by Dunhill Nightcap in his cob. He's trying to break away from the nails, too. I like the Dunhill EMP. It has a light taste and plenty of vitamin N, if you want it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Well, just my $.02 but, if your B&M carries "Proper English", they probably carry other Peter Stokkebye blends. If this is the case, be sure to check out English Luxury, which I consider a great light-Medium English/crossover blend. Not as overpowering as Proper English, but not bland by any stretch. Hope this helps...
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.