PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Just picked a fun lot of estates and tobbaciana from a gent who was selling off his 91 year old father in law's collection. Included in the lot were 4 old MM Cobs, all well enjoyed. Can I assume that there's not much to do but bin these? Does one hold onto the stems and get someone *coughsmokindragoncough* to make and attach new bowls? Seems a shame to put these ol' cobs down.
Lookin' forward to your thoughts.
-- Pat

timcanny

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Philadelphia
You could always give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? If I were going to do it I would probably just ream out the bowl and see how that went and then replace the stem with a replacement one you can buy online. A quick search for "corn cob stem" brings up a company that provides upgraded stems for MM CCs. I've also seen replacement MM CC stems available for less than a buck on at least one pipe vendor's site. Possibly Pipes & Cigars but don't quote me. I'd be interested to hear how it worked out for you if you try it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks timcanny. I appreciate the thoughts. I hope that your bumping this thread might trigger others to chime in with opinions.
Roth, I haven't. I have 14 pipes on the bench right now in varying states of clean-up. Right now those four cobs are sitting in a box with five different colours/versions of "The Pipe". Worst case scenario, if I don't clean 'em up then I have the beginnings of an interesting sculpture. :P
I'll keep you guys posted.
-- Pat

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Wonder how they would do with ozone treatment? Walker charges $5 for the first and $2 for the next ones. Might not be cost effective, but I'd contact Mike to see if it was do-able.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I don't know what other cob smokers do, but I've reamed out cobs before with success. So, if that works, I guess it's whether or not it's worth it to replace the stems. I don't know how much I'd worry about how they look. Isn't part of the charm of a cob the rustic, used look?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks pipingruotsi. I think a ream and a re-drill of the stem is probably the way to go. The cobs are actually in pretty nice condition, and I like the size, shape and patination on them. Once I get through the current briar on the bench I'll put some time against these and see what I come up with.
Worst case scenario? I'll have a cob smoking jack-o-lantern for Halloween.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When does a beat-to-hell cob become a prized artifact instead of a candidate for restoration? Since there

are several of these in this group of pipes, you might take the least beat up and get it a forever stem, and

other restorative treatments, and go with it as a regular smoker. Maybe the most "enjoyed" should just

live on in tribute to the joy of pipe smoking, and be fired up on some holiday in tribute to the ancestral spirit,

like the old boy's birthday, if it is known. Or if he was a union man, Labor Day, or a veteran, Veterans Day, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.