PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
So I am looking at building a wall mounted pipe rack to finally get my stash organized, and I have noticed a lot of pipe racks that show the pipes hanging with the stems down, and the usual traditional bowl down with stem up leaning back to rest on a two part stand. Is there really a difference? Does it matter at all if the bowl is up or down? Just curious.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some say they dry better bowl down, but all of my pipes lay on a mat on their side on closet shelves and haven't soured from it for three decades. I say whichever is most attractive to you, go for it. Please post pics though!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I doubt it makes much difference, but my instinct is to have any slight residual moisture (after cleaning the bowl and pipe cleaning the airway) to drain into the bowl, so I store pipes stem up.

Reactions: SeniorAMG

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
I like the way bowl down looks but think it's just a matter of aesthetics.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Stem down is my usual pref, but since a lot of mine are large bents or screwball Danishes, a lot of them get racked bowl up since they don't fit, even rotating the stem 180. I can't tell any difference.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The few racks I have left are bowl up. I mostly store in pistol cases so they are on their sides, nestled in foam, and resting peacefully on shelves.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I mostly store in pistol cases so they are on their sides, nestled in foam, and resting peacefully on shelves.
Heaven forbid you have an ATF raid. They won't know what to do. :rofl:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
All the pipe racks and stands I have are 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, and the bowl is down. Storing the pipes in the open allows them to dry best. The conventional wisdom at the time was for any moisture to drain into the bowl, rather than leave juice to dry on the airway. Back in the beginning, I only cleaned my pipes monthly, so I think that worked pretty well. Now,

I pretty much clean my pipes after every use, so I don’t suppose it matters. Anyway, from the comments above, I would say to experiment and go with what works for you.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The second time I mass ordered pistol cases from amazon I figured I hit a watchlist somewhere.
20171205_224723-600x450.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bowl down is standard, and what I prefer. But stem down is fine. In either case, if there's moisture in the heel or airway, it should be removed before racking. Many of my pipes rest horizontally, or at an angle, sitting in a bucket or large vase or jar.

Jan 8, 2013
Personally, I just think they look better displayed bowl down. But I suppose it's a matter of preference. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with :puffy:

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Hmmm....interesting. I will do a couple of experiments and see what looks good. Maybe do a couple of small racks both ways and try them out. Thanks for the input fellas!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
wyf', I admit my head was going down a different road entirely, & again entirely due to my having been out of the pistolero world since forever (contracted severe arthritis in the late '70s & had to give up shooting :(). You had me thinking about pistol rugs, & I figured, well, there's an innovative approach. Wasn't thinking injection molded at all! :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only time I've been unpacked at the x-ray at the airport, it was my harmonica that caught their eye, thinking it was a pistol clip. They were prompt and courteous, or I would have subjected them to a cruel concert that would have left them dazed and stressed. People often ask me to play "Far, Far Away."

Status
Not open for further replies.