PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What is the difference? Cavendish as I understand can be made from any tobacco; and if the tobacco is a VA and heat-treated, wouldn't this be the same as stoved VA? But maybe burley is the tobacco used to make the unsweetened black Cavendish, in which case my question goes away.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I was going to say that I think normally the unsweetened black cavendish is burley based. But you seemed to answer your own question.

It really depends on what blend you are referring to. There is a Green River Cavendish that is added to a lot of Virginia blends and even Haddos Delight has it. Sometimes it's used for sweetness, sometimes for strength.

I think the fine line of difference in a stoved Virginia and a Cavendish is the sweetener, pressing, and fermenting process. Most of the time I just think of stoved or flue Virginia as just seasoned.
But again, I think it depends of which blend.
Edit: I missed the word "unsweetened" in your question. Hmmm, I would have to say that if it is unsweetened, I have no idea... Maybe they use Splenda® or Aspartame, ha ha!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The black Cavendish used in Europe usually refers to what we would consider stoved Virginia. In the US, black Cavendish is usually made of Burley (commonly Green River) that has been toasted and/or steamed. It is sweetened, and may, or may not, be flavored. What we call black Cavendish is sometimes called brown Cavendish, especially in the UK.
Russ

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
The black Cavendish used in Europe usually refers to what we would consider stoved Virginia. In the US, black Cavendish is usually made of Burley (commonly Green River) that has been toasted and/or steamed. It is sweetened, and may, or may not, be flavored. What we call black Cavendish is sometimes called brown Cavendish, especially in the UK.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.