PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
These are some pipe smoking accessories that get little discussion. The unsung heroes that play a big role behind the scenes.
What are yours?
A few of mine:

1. Coffee grinder: blend up tobacco. I use mine frequently.

2. Wide mouthed kitchen funnel: for transferring tobacco from tins to mason jars. No spill. Love it!

3. Silicone pipe care cloth or wipe.

4. Baby wipes: use them after every smoke for the bowl and for my hands.

5. Sharp knife for cutting plugs.

6. Food savor and seal a meal bags: I now seal almost all tins and bags before collaring. Also Mylar.

7. Little bowls and containers for matches and ashes and used pipe cleaners and also pipe cleaner holders.

8. A LONG tamper: especially handy at night or low light.

9. A good tray for tobacco and accessories.
cL9c0LB.jpg

ULfnrbT.jpg

kOrAUfk.jpg

VAkePS7.jpg

O4bkoa4.jpg

k4HvP81.jpg

sXX3Mo5.jpg

F5njqUU.jpg

jJdvwRe.jpg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Nice photos and neat ideas. I'll take one of those funnels, the long tamper and one of those trays (really nice).
Now I'm craving a little Doblone d'Oro.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
3-4 good pipe tools spread around for convenience. (Tamper, blunt knife point scraper, pick)

Many more wooden tampers scattered about.

Handful of butane lighters " " .

Several sharp knives.

Wide mouth bail tops for current open blends.

5 small hygrometers for use in bail jars, mason jars, and testing newly opened tins.
The latter is the most essential thing- i.e. I could do without or substitute for any of the above, but not those.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@jpmcwjr, I have lots of hygrometers in my cigar cabinet humidor. But, I am not skilled in the use of these with pipe tobacco. I've read your prior posts, and some others, but never really "got it". Please elaborate. How do you use them in daily use?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I generally pop one in a newly opened bag or tin to find my starting point. Many tobaccos come in at over 80% RH @ 70º, so very wet. Then, with transfer to jars, I'll leave the hygrometer on top of the tobacco with the top open overnight, or all day. Let's say it now reads 70%. But I know it isn't. So I'll close it up overnight, and the moisture will equalize- (the tobacco at the bottom is higher than say, 78%; that at the top is near 70%)
So, as it equalizes, in this case hypothetically at 73%, I know I can dry down the whole jar in a few days. (Yes, mixing will be done once or twice if I am in a hurry) Then I'll have several ounces at the perfect level for me, which is 60-65%. Repeat this for a number of blends, and you'll have all the tobacco you can smoke in a week, all ready to go.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Were the baby wipes my fault? Myself I only use them on cobs and meers. I use Brawny shop towels on briars.
To your list I'll add Paragon and Halcyon wax, Q-tips, and a microwave oven.

Jan 8, 2013
Coffee Cup warmer just like the one in this photo....
41MZ2xjO9cL._SY355_.jpg

And flat bottomed coffee filters like this one....
841359.jpg

Kept in arms reach, while browsing online or watching a show, I can reach over while the tobacco is drying and check the moisture level and stir it around every couple minutes until the tobacco is at the right moisture level. Takes a little longer than a microwave, but easier to control how dry it gets. If impatient, I can switch it to high heat.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use a cup warmer for making mustache wax. Never thought of using it as tobacco dryer.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thanks for clarifying the hygrometer technique! I’ll try that for sure.
Anthony, I like the coffee warmer! Such a simple but useful unsung hero.
Duane, yep, the wax and oil are certainly unsung heroes! I keep all my waxes, oils and rags in an old dopp kit.
CZJIPgd.jpg

Here is another one for me. My tiny sushi rice drying fan. I use it to quick dry tobacco when I want to speed up drying Baccy.
eCFry22.jpg

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Great post and great pictures, especially for a noob like me. I especially like the coffee filter idea. I’ve been using a paper napkin but it’s unwieldy. Switched to a French Press for coffee some time ago so I have plenty of filters that will now be repurposed for tobacco!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...and (some) people claim this isn't a hobby! :puffy:
I couldn't survive without my low velocity blower.

61wgamjqefl.jpg

and aluminum baking pans for prepping and drying.

41ptcqjbrkl.jpg

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Love the idea of the cup warmer and filters!!!!!!
Yes you are to blame for the baby wipes! Fantastic little trick that is.
I'm gonna have to search the forums on that!!!!!
CW

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Awesome accessories as well as pics! Might need to invest in one of those warmers. I just use unused pie pans for most of my drying with a coffee stirring stick to stir it around. I couldn't keep those oils in my dopp kit, or else I'd be trying to nourish my beard with Obsidian Oil.
P.S. At least you were fully dressed while you took those pictures...reflections can be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.