Unsmoking A Vintage Pipe

(22 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by fluffie666
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you do it? I get stuck on semantics sometimes. When the months get cold and I don't feel like jumping into my car to go on pipe hunts as often as usual, EBay starts to fill my PAD void. I keep seeing the words "vintage" regarding used and "unsmoked" to explain the pipe has not been used. Anyone else find this as funny as I do?

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the over use of the word "vintage" and "rare" on ebay can be tiresome

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Vintage can be an old pipe that has not been smoked I think (Vintage can be made say 20-40 years ago?). Same as New Old Stock is used to describe some ebay listings also.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

previously loved-yech!

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Previously loved" makes me throw up a little bit too. "New old stock" I can deal with but it's still in now way new... if it's old. Semantics... what makes this stuff jive with us? "Rare" is another turn off. I would rather just see a nice clear picture of the nomenclature instead of seeing "rare" in a description.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Rare' is a term thrown around way too much. Almost anything can be rare. I've never held a cob in my hand, but that doesn't make them rare. 'Vintage' just means old, but I am guilty of over using that one from many a kijiji ad. But 'vintage' appeals to hipsters more than 'old'.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vintage usually denotes that the seller hasn't the slightest clue on what he is selling, and knows little to nothing about pipes. We have a local auction website, based on the same engine and concept as ebay, and when it comes to pipes you see the most outlandish descriptions, to utmost ridiculous. I have seen meerschaum called ivory, the sellers over here prefer vintage less and collectible more, the word rare is used a lot usually associated with st. claud pipes - pipes that are rare as hairs on a lynx, and so on ... I still take a look when I see sale adds like these, in hope that I may catch a break.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Yeah, vintage just means it has some age on it. Got an unsmoked KB&B a couple of years ago made before 1920 listed as vintage.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

20's KB&B. Very nice find. Very cool.

Has anyone ever unsmoked a cigarette or unused a tissue before? What are the dynamics behind that?

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm confused, what words would better fit; virginal, old, old-virgin, aged, mature, pristine, non-burned?

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

^yep. Unsmoked seems fine. We say unleavened bread rather than non-leavened bread. That doesn't mean we leaven the bread and then unleaven it.

Vintage is a bit tired, but I mean do we really expect a seller to just say old-ish?

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And, when I see a pipe that has remained unsmoked for 60 years, 20 years, or even 100 years, it runs through my mind that this pipe has been rejected by people for all of that time, for whatever reason... maybe the Powers that Be, don't want that pipe to be used.

Has it always set on shelves next to more attractive pipes? Did it get set aside in its box and forgotten? Dropped behind some furniture? Was it kept by a collector that thought it more cerebral than functional? Was it part of a shipment that got hijacked and then remained in its box and spent a few years in the closet of a crackhead? Or, did a smart shop owner set it back, because he realized that there was a problem with that pipe, and he couldn't ethically bring himself to sale it?

How does a pipe go that long without being smoked?

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"New old stock" is clear in its meaning. You can have an unsmoked pipe that's an estate pipe but not vintage; you can have a vintage pipe that's smoked or unsmoked.

Vintage-time will vary on the object- some think 5 or 10 year old clothes styles are "vintage". But a vintage shotgun would have no plastic and be upwards of 50-100 years old or more. Same with cars. Wine? The all show a vintage date, so who knows? A 1960 Beychevelle is a nice vintage, and is also a vintage wine due to its age and quality, not that year specifically.

I fear I have gone on too much on language, which I love.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The use of words and language is amusing. I do love language. It certainly gets my mind wandering sometimes, especially when we're trying to describe things.
    Cosmic has me wondering about unsmoked pipes with some age behind them. Brings up an interesting point. What kept them out of faces all those years? Hopefully not being squirreled away in the closet of a crack head.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of unsmoked pipes bordering on "vintage" (whatever that means!). One of them is a Mastro de Paja, and there it sits in the rack that's in a cupboard, so I don't see it every day. I have so many others that I am not sure I will ever smoke this one. Also have a meer from the WCPS I haven't initiated yet. OTOH, the two Ken Barnes beauties I received a while ago got fired up immediately.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what words would better fit; virginal
    Nope, that means no stain or finish. Lol. I love how misconstrued all of these descriptors can get, especially when considering the sellers who likely do not smoke.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quite a few of these describe my X. Definitely not virginal though.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

I'm confused

Me too. Why can't a pipe be vintage AND unsmoked? If the pipe dates from 1912 and has never been smoked, then it's a vintage unsmoked pipe.... yes?

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"unsmoked" sounds like something you do... not, having not done.
    And, vintage... Vintage refers to a yearly batch of something or just the year in which something was done, as in a "vintage of wine." And, the word has changed meanings over the years of discussing old wines, "is this vintage" and then later to be used on things that just seem odd to call "antique" as in video games. But, everybody now knows what is meant by the misuse of the word, so it is common to hear it misused. So, it is in the common use for the word. So, I am not sure what other problem there is for the "vintage."

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several vintage unsmoked pipes....and I'm not a crackhead

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crack is probably not 100% necessary, but it probably helps.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Me too. Why can't a pipe be vintage AND unsmoked? If the pipe dates from 1912 and has never been smoked, then it's a vintage unsmoked pipe.... yes?

Yes. One has nothing to do with the other. Although it the pipe was 100 or more years old it would technically qualify as an antique, not vintage. Vintage is a more amorphous term, anyway, but it's somehow less stuffy a term than antique.

I guess there are a lot of you who were virgins and married virgins when you got married. After all, you wouldn't want to put your lips or other body parts where anyone else had gone before. The wedding night must have been a sybaritic thrill, Chinese basket trick, Kama Sutra, and all.

And of course, when you fall off the perch your pipes and tobaccos will be set ablaze in a grand funeral pyre as you aren't hypocrites and would never consider subjecting anyone else to the debasement of smoking a used pipe of yours.

So why do so many sellers use the words "vintage" and "rare". Really? I mean THAT'S a question? Can't anyone guess? Here's a hint. They're trying, however ineptly, however pitifully limited their command of language, to SELL something and in the process, make it look ATTRACTIVE so that it will SELL. OK, so now take a guess why they use those words.

Somewhere along the line people got the impression that rarity automatically equals a higher price. Rarity equals bupkis. There are lots of things that are rare and nobody really wants, like, for example, an honest politician. But sellers, desperate to latch onto anything that might add a couple pence to the exchecquer, will turn to this erroneous, overused, and trite language to pitch their poxy wares.

In any event, whether it's women, pipes, cars, houses, CD's or any number of other things, I have no issue with something having been used. And when it comes to sales pitches, I actively ignore them and just assess the item I'm considering buying.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, jaytex969, jiminks, tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman