PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Who has pipes in their collection that remain unsmoked and why?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
All mine have been smoked but there are a few i will not smoke. my grandfathers(god rest him) regular cob still smells like his blend of Old Grand Dad. Sure wish i could find some of that tobacco, so many memories.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
One... because it's at my house and I'm not :rofl:
But I will be in 5 hours and then it will be smoked.. so then it's none

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
I have several unsmoked - because I didn't get around to them, because they're too precious (not $'s wise but too special & want to keep as an asset for my kid's inheritance - stupid I know), because I didn't pay attention to the size when impulse buying and they're small, because they're German antiques c1920/30 with bone stems ... many, many different reasons. Also have a couple of at least 45yo MM's (a churchwarden & another) that are a piece of history and cannot put a match to them :) You just don't see real non-Chinese cobs out here so they're absolute treasures.
Mostly unsmoked because the ones that don't appeal to me (too masculine, too big, too small etc) will be advertised on here and sold to thin out my excessive compulsive PAD when I first started - now I'm a whole lot wiser spending irrational $'s on baccy from USA & saving the pennies for that one last super special pipe made to suit my needs perfectly and I think I've found it, yeeehaaaaaah!!!!

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
All of my pipes get smoked (some more than others). I haven't bought one yet that I've resisted the urge to fill up and smoke as soon as possible. I can't help it...its too much fun to see how they smoke.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I have a few that haven't been smoked, yet. An older Kaywoodie White Briar, because it is just nice and WHITE. A first year Peterson St. Pat's Day pipe, the day is coming next month. A Nording Duck pipe, because I just can't bring myself to smoke it. An Irish clay, see St. Pats day above. A meer I'm carving and have yet to finish. A couple other older pipes that are just resting a bit longer.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I can never see reason in not smoking pipes, that's what they were made for, I have some that don't get smoked much, only because they are not my favorites, as long as you look after your pipes they will last a lifetime, one of my favorite smokers is this 1886 Meerschaum that I fitted with a Peterson P-Lip stem, this has lasted several lifetimes.
P1010005.jpg

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have one pipe that is unsmoked, but that is only because I can't decided what kind of tobacco I want to smoke in it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 on that Meer. I got outbid on a bowl like that a few months ago. I could kick my own ass. I smoke all my pipes. I'm afraid they will feel left out if I don't. :rofl:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have a couple of unsmoked clays, because when I decided to buy one I got a couple extras in case I break it. They're just waiting their turn.
I have about four unsmoked cobs. I bought those specially so I could have a pipe to give away in case I met a deserving soul who would like to try smoking a pipe.
And of course, I'm not counting the dozens of pipes I haven't bought yet. :)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A lot of my pipes have been smoked,but not by me. They are pipes I have restored and put on a shelf to collect dust. I have several older pipes that are NOS and will remain so as long as I have them. Course the main reason I don't smoke the dust collectors is that I prefer filter pipes and most of the dust collectors are not filter pipes.I keep about 25 in rotation and have another dozen or so that I could put in rotation if I'd just take the time to restore them.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I have a lot of unsmoked pipes, I bought them because I had extra cash at the time and some of the dals were too good to pass up. I have enough pipes to smoke now rather than start breaking in new ones.
BTW, jcsnaps, I have most of the Nording Hunting series including a nice smooth mallard. I usually start smoking them when I bag the game. I started seriously duck hunting this year and managed one mallard, a hen. So I will have to wait for next year to get a drake and light that one up. Same with the moose, turkey, boar and elk. I'm already smoking the pheasant, quail, deer and goose. Oh, the beaver too...

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
+1 on that Meer. I got outbid on a bowl like that a few months ago. I could kick my own ass. I smoke all my pipes. I'm afraid they will feel left out if I don't.
I picked the bowl up a few years ago for the starting price of 99p (English) no others bidders, it was a bit cruddy, just cleaned it up with fine steel wool and waxed it and fitted it with the P-Lip (I always keep a stock of Pete stems) had to turn the tenon down a bit, polished the silver work up and hey presto, Similar bowls come up quite regularly on ebay, they would have had long stems on them but the shorter stem works a treat.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Right now I have two unsmoked pipes. The one is an alabaster & ivory "soldier's pipe" from the Civil War. The bowl is broken so it's not smokable anyway. I just like having a piece of history.
The other is a Wellington Volcano I got as a gift from my Bishop. He apparently smoked it A LOT. Needs quite a bit of cleaning and repair (the tenon broke off from the stem and there is quite a bit of cake in it). But as soon as I get this one up and running I think it will be smoked quite frequently.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I have 2. One of them is a MM cob, I just haven't lit it up yet. I'm thinking this spring or summer would be nice outside. It's a large bowl and I want to savour it. The other is a pipe a buddy picked me up in Cuba. It's more of novelty, however it could be smoked. I just don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.