PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
s-l1600.jpg

Very pretty, but it looks very fragile. (Maybe it isn't)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I only have a smoked variation of the shape from 1958.
dan21.jpg

dan4.jpg

Born in 1928, Gert Holbek began making pipes in 1956 and stopped in 2007 at age 79. All pipes Gert made have been carefully documented - there were exactly 6662 pieces made. Apparently a customer of Holbek's wanted him to make a series of pipes in the style of the Shape Reformed pipes.
"...a series created by the famous pipe shop Pibe-Dan in Copenhagen. That proved to be a fortunate move, even if it did not start so well. The owner of said shop was furious when he heard about it and went to Gert's workshop to scold him for making cribs. But that came to nothing, when he saw Gert's pipes. Instead Pibe-Dan said - "I buy everything you make."
Jan Andersson

From a letter from Gert Holbek to Jan Andersson,
"I was sitting in the shanty with the electricity on max. Then the gate were almost scratched from the hinges and up to the shanty came Pibe Dan - angry like a thunder cloud. He was tall and big, spoke heavy and clear. It was so, that the pipefirm had engaged me to make a few of the pipes in Dan`s chimney shape, which Dan felt was his alone.
We drank a cup of tea and he promised to buy what I made of pipes and that he would supply with wood and stems."

:D

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
For some context, a high grade Gert Holbek pipe would cost about the same as a Sixten Ivarsson pipe back in 1961.
:)

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
There is a collection of pipes up for auction.

I think I see quite a few Pipe Dan chimneys but can't tell if any are Holbek.

Do you spot anything especially interesting?

samling1-450x600.jpg

samling2-450x600.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Do you spot anything especially interesting?
Hard to tell from the pictures. Looks like Celius in the top picture on the far left. The pipe just below the bent pipe with the silver band looks interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.