PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
I went to a local B&M today to pick up a stogie, and I saw they had several Peterson tins that I wanted to try. I purchased Sherlock Holmes and Nutty Cut. When I got home, I opened the Sherlock Holmes first and was impressed by the aroma. Then I went to open the Nutty Cut, but after I put the coin in, I wasn't greeted by the typical rush of air. The tin hadn't been opened before, but the vacuum wasn't there. The tobacco was dry. My question is, is the tobacco still good to smoke if I rehydrate it, or should I pitch it?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It can be re-hydrated. Us e distilled water for best results but for one tin, eh, don't be too worried. Take a paper towel, soak it, wring it and drape it over the open tin over night. Repeat when the towel is dried out or until the tobacco is suitable. You can also seal it in a jar or tupperware and put the towel between the lid and container. You could also mist the tobacco but I tend to over do it when I do that.

Mike S.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Moisture coins are cheap and you should have a few. My local B&M didn't sell them and just gave me four from their bulk bins. I normally have around 12-15 tins/jars open at a time, when the tobacco starts feeling a little dry I toss one in. I've received samples from people that have dried out. I put them in a tin with a coin and perfect the next day. These are quick, cheap and easy. Most people here use them and a great way of keeping the moisture level for each blend at your "point of perfection."
Craig

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would take the tin back and ask for a replacement. It was obviously unsealed and you should not have to re-hydrate a new tin. In my opinion tobacco that has been re-hydrated never tastes as good as when it is properly cared for. I have found the tobacco loses flavor after it has been re-hydrated.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Yeah I'd ask for a replacement too. If you got a carton of milk that was opened you'd be back to the shop before your arse had even touched a chair, why should tobacco be any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.