PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does anyone else find themselves reaching for pipes with a little char on the brim

and a nick or two on the bowl, with some chatter on the bit, and some uneven finish?

I sometimes have to remind myself to smoke the high level pipes, like wearing Sunday

clothes. Something about the golden oldies, the ones that don't draw attention, that

just draws me in.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Never something I've thought about. "Pretentious" and "pipes" rarely, if ever, occupy the same space for me.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Yes, I smoke those pipes more often, than any high grades. They provide a care freee smoke, can be smoked a little hot and do not have to be smoked to the bottom. I can clench them, as I do not have to care for teeth marks. The high grades are babied a lot more, but this does not necessarily add to the experience, but they provide excellent smokes, too, otherwise I would have already sold them.

Jan 8, 2013
My collection is pretty tiny, but i do find myself reaching for my nicked up, well worn in Stanwell more often than i thought I would be these days. Its kinda like a solid old friend I guess.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I have 2 Neerups. One I got as an estate after I bought a new one for my birthday. The bday pipe has only been smoked 5x, haven't smoked the estate yet. They're my most expensive pipes so far, and I want to smoke them when I have nothing else to distract me. I'll reach more often for a well-seasoned pipe, rim char and all, because they smoke better for now. They have more stories to tell

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I don't prefer them because they are worn or beat up, they are worn and beat up because I prefer them.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
My most expensive pipe was my Birth year Dunhill, $190 and all my other pipes are just below the $100 range. And most of them are estate pipes. Some of my favorite pipes are lesser known like my Alcazar Poker or my Alexander Zavos pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I smoke almost all of them, whether an Ehrlich, a Kaywoodie, or a 19th century Barling. I treat them all with care, whether I spent $2 or hundreds of times that amount. As long as I enjoy a good smoke, that's what counts. The most enjoyable smokers get the most use.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Most of my pipes fit that description and my favorite brand may be considered a bit pretentious.
As far as I'm concerned, rim gunk wipes off easy with some elbow grease, dings just happen, and all that really matters is if the interior of the bowl isn't spiderwebbed and scorched. Heck I have a Baldo Baldi that could probably use a good rim cleaning. Some folks who collect his work would probably not be overly thrilled about that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go on runs when all I want to smoke are my higher level pipes, relative to all my pipes. Mine is a

mid-level and lower level group. But when I get back to cobs, oldie unfinished pipes, and unstamped

and good old standbys, it always surprises me how much I enjoy them, how good a smoke they give.

A Ser Jacopo is a mighty fine briar, but so is an unstamped unfinished Cassano.

Status
Not open for further replies.