PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have several unopened tins in various places in my den. Closet, etc. I also have a shelf in the room that is visible that I keep jars of tobacco on. The room gets very little sunlight and is temp. controlled.

Should I leave the unopened tins in the dark closet/storage or put them out on the shelf with the jars? They are literally feet from one another.

For the light-tight tins, I don't think that you'll have any worries no matter where you store them. The light can't affect them, at least for the few years that you'll be waiting to smoke them.
That said, I had a whole stack of Solani tobaccos of their various makes, and I found out when I finally cracked one open, that none of them were sealed. So, I've had three large tins of Solani Silver flake, Aged Burley Flake, and such get very dry in the tins. From now on, I will test the tins to make sure that they are sealed well before putting them away.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks Michael, I assumed unopened tins would be fine. I need some space and moving these into a more convenient spot with other tobacco will help that.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I also have a shelf in the room that is visible that I keep jars of tobacco on.
I would think you would want the jars in the closet,away from any light, and move the tins out as they are already protected from the light,as cosmic pointed out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you're storing tobacco on a shelf, be sure the temperature is suitable. I think room temp is just fine, but an elevated shelf may be warmer than you know. Here are some excerpts from the Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage & Cellaring FAQ
Cool and dry is best. If you can keep it between 55 deg F and 70 deg F, you're doing well; perhaps a 65 deg F upper limit is better still.
Heat, despite the apparent popularity of some of the "Dashboard Stoving" techniques, is not your tobacco's friend. Among other things, you increase the probability that dormant mold spores will germinate. Freezing is also a bad idea.
Of course, moist environments will do nothing other than contribute to rust development, so dry is better. (Remember, the tins are sealed. Moisture inside the tins will stay there, irrespective of the external RH.)

GL Pease, 2005-03-29
If you are comfortable, the tobacco will be comfortable.

James D. Beard, 2005-03-28
The main concern is to keep them in an environment that will keep the tins from rusting. The idea is an environment that does not fluctuate in temperature or humidity.

G. W. Fletcher, 2001-05-10
The stuff should be stored in a cool, dry place. Dry is important. Tins, while coated on the inside to prevent rust from within, are susceptible to rusting from the outside in. There's nothing worse than opening a tin of something you've been looking forward to for years, only to find a dry, rusty mess inside. Rust does have a flavour of its own. It's terrible.

GL Pease, 2001-08-15
Cool, but not cold, storage conditions will allow your tobacco to mature in a slow, even manner. The proper range is slightly less than room temperature (55 F to 65 F) for slow, steady maturation of tobacco. Tinned tobacco that is stored at a slightly warmer range, say 75 F, will mature quicker with only a slight loss in the overall final product. Remember that heat is used with steam, some types of pressing and stoving of tobacco, but these processes are used during manufacturing rather than the long term maturation of the "finished product".

R.C. Hamlin, 1995 Pipes Digest
DO NOT put sealed tins in the humidor! Tins are actually made of steel, and pull-tops are aluminum, and corrosion is their worst enemy. I've lost some remarkable old tobaccos to the dreaded rust.

GL Pease, 1998-11-16

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I should hasten to underscore one bit of advice from G W Fletcher above: fluctuating temperatures

can compromise the seal on jars and tins that rely on a gasket of some kind.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks to all for the advice.
If you're storing tobacco on a shelf, be sure the temperature is suitable. I think room temp is just fine, but an elevated shelf may be warmer than you know. Here are some excerpts from the Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage & Cellaring FAQ
Exactly. All of my jars are stored near floor level and constant temps of approx. 70 degrees(+/-)and no direct sunlight or indirect.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I just transferred all my sealed tins from a cabinet in my (unfinished) basement to a spare cooler to ease the shock of temperature fluctuations. Normally the basement is a livable temp but with no direct heating, it can get pretty chilly in the winter months. I'm thinking this is the best option until I have a temp controlled room to store the stash.
One thing that keeps tugging at my mind are the square tins. I've read countless instances of the seal breaking while being stored. Without causing harm, how can I test to see how the seal is holding up on square tins? Should I just crack them and get everything into jars? I'd hate to do this as I have a few that I plan on aging for years but fear finding a rust dusty cocktail down the road.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Since we're talking about cellaring and square tins, I have a question about Ennerdale. It comes in a square tin or in bulk. Of the two options, which would be best for aging? It sounds like bulk is the answer as it is both cheaper and I can just store it in jars right away.
The tin I bought was sealed incredibly tightly but I can see how the corners could provide weakness where a round tin would keep a seal.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I always hear people complain about the square tins. However, the most cellared blend according to tobaccocellar.com is Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. This comes in a square tin, so they cannot be all that bad...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
S
ince we're talking about cellaring and square tins, I have a question about Ennerdale. It comes in a square tin or in bulk. Of the two options, which would be best for aging? It sounds like bulk is the answer as it is both cheaper and I can just store it in jars right away.
The tin I bought was sealed incredibly tightly but I can see how the corners could provide weakness where a round tin would keep a seal.
Go with the bulk and jar it.
The square and rectangular tins can't distribute the pressure evenly around the perimeter. They're sort of in a perpetual state of very slow leakage. A number of very old tins I've popped have had dried out contents. But if you're only holding them for a few years, they should be fine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Solani Silver Flake does not come in vaccum sealed tins. I jar it the minute I get it as it comess perfectly humidified for my tastes. The 100 gram tins of Solani 633 are the same way but their 50 gram tins are vaccum sealed, go figure.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
You can seal them in heat sealed food storage bags for long term storage.
Great idea, I may go this route. Thanks Sable. I entertained the idea of wax but really don't want to deal with the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.