PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I recently have come across this freehand pipe, and i was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of any information about it or just your general thoughts on the pipe, an appropriate price, general observations, etc. I know its a longshot with just some crummy pictures, but theirs absolutely no markings on the pipe. The owner said they were either a Wiley or Tinsky after refering to his grandfather, with whom the pipes used to belong. Maybe you guys could shed some light on this pipe for me. If not, i understand theirs not alot to work with. Regardless, enjoy the pictures of an old pipe! :puffy:
1zv9amp.jpg

34ez235.jpg

2j67dbo.jpg

Ps: Sorry the pictures are so large, i didn't think to scale them down.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i have no clue who made it johnny but that is a damn cool old freehand sir.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I dont have any freehand and i dont know anything about how to determine who is the make, but you guys know your pipes like the back of your hand, so i thought i would give it a shot. The guy thats selling it isn't a pipe smoker so hes all over the place with information. Along with thinking that it was either a Wiley or a Tinsky, the man claims that it was bought during WW2. I honestly dont know how true that is, but if that is true then it can't be either a Wiley or a Tinsky. I dont know, i think im going to try to pick it up but im not really sure what a fair price would be to offer. What do you guys think? Its in decent shape aside from needing a nice deep cleaning. Most freehands look about the same to me, so i didn't know if you could tell by the style(if their is a style)I thought it looked similar to Johs freehand pipes. I dont know. :?

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It's not a Wiley or a Tinsky. My guess is that it's a Danish pipe from the '50s or '60s. Many Danish shops of that time period had carvers who produced house pipes. Some were marked, many were not. The most notable was Pipe-Dan in Copenhagen which had, at various times, Sven Knudsen, Gert Holbek, Axel Svend Celius, Tom Eltang and many other great carvers on staff. Many unmarked freehands were produced by carvers whose marked pipes sell for very high prices.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks for all the post, i think im going to pick it up and i'll let you know how it cleans up! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.