PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I opened this tin earlier this summer and it didn't do much for me at the time, however I was just learning to deal with flakes. I don't know if the tin being cracked helped dry it out, but man oh man is this a tasty smoke! I did manage to buy 4 Tins of this just in case, so very glad I did.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Yet another convert to that delightful flake! We need to come up with a University Flake answer to the Blackblood Society...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Roth, I picked them up on yours and Harris 's recommendations. I have a feeling I'm going to smoke a fair bit of it this fall!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The first time I tried it I didn't like it at all! I let it sit, jarred of course, for a couple months and it improved greatly. I'm not a big Va fan, but the second go-around was very pleasant.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I did the fold and stuff method instead of cube cutting, the flavours are intense but I've had to relight more. I'll try cube cutting next time and see if there's a difference.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
You guys are such enablers thanks a lot now I have to order a few tins of University Flake! Geesh I guy could go broke hanging out with your guys! :nana:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ha ha, sorry about that Rob! It is a great flake though, a unique flavour. Since you're getting into VA's this should be another to through in theashopping cart.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I am busy online searching for a part time job to support my PAD/TAD or the wife will kick me out lol

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I am glad you like University Flake. It has been a few years since I have had a tin. I always thought it had a plain/bland tobacco taste with not much to it. I have been thinking about giving it a try again though.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I will vouch for the kick though, I was way stronger than I thought. Had to put it down in the middle to give myself a break.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I bought 5 tins of University Flake based on Cigrmaster's description of it and of course those that added to the thread. I popped the tin and was a bit overwhelmed with the strength of the flake. I let it sit a couple months and I had a wow moment like you and have come to really enjoy the stuff. I will probably get more, but there are so many other tobaccos I want to try like the Capstan's and SG FVF. I will get to them someday. I would say for those who want a unique VaBur with a bit of kick give this one a try.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
University flake is quite tasty, I really like 3p's also (Peterson's perfect plug). To me its like a heartier version of Uni-flake.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I almost ordered a tin but I took it out because I wasn't sure if I'd like it. I'm going to give it a go next time! Glad to hear you liked it, I remember you mentioning at the meet up last month you didn't really like it. I was like that with Orlik but the last couple flakes I had in the jar were very good. I've figured out flakes recently as well and I must say it is an enjoyable full flavoured smoke.

iwbiek

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
eh, i don't remember being too impressed with it compared to gawith commonwealth or navy flake, but maybe i'll make it my next purchase after my current tin of navy runs out. it's been about 5 years, i guess, since i tried it. i used to be as big a devotee of peterson tobaccos as i am of their pipes, especially old dublin and irish oak, but then i got into samuel gawith and never went back.
usually after i'm done gorging myself on latakia-rich navy flake, i'm ready for the more subtle flavor but stronger nicotine punch of black xx, but i might give university flake another try. you've piqued my interest.
can someone remind me again of the basic differences between university flake and irish flake?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
iwbiek, I find the UF to be a sweeter blend than IF. The IF is a more traditional heavy Va/Burley/Kentucky flake where the UF is toned down strength wise because it has no Kentucky and has the added plum topping which is done nice and lightly so it is not cloyingly sweet. I like the unique flavor that the UF has as it is basically my only flavored blend in my rotation, other than my rum topped flakes. To my tastes the IF has a small hint of smokiness along with the sweetness of the Virginia where UF has none of that. They are very different tasting blends and I enjoy both of them.
I am aging my IF as I do not care for it fresh, it needs a year at least for my tastes where the UF I enjoy fresh.

iwbiek

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
hmmm, well, i guess i see why i wasn't that into those flakes when i tried them years ago--no latakia! i had just left aromatics behind and had already been smoking old dublin and gawith commonwealth for a while. i think the last serious aromatic i ever bought was a tin of peterson sunset breeze and i said, "ick, enough. no more gummy bears, thanks." anyway, i was also just starting to try flakes and i guess i was expecting to taste latakia because i figured that's how all englishes tasted (i didn't actually know yet that latakia was what that coal smoke flavor was).
however, as i said before, since then i've become a big fan of gawith black xx plug, which i'm sure has no latakia in it, but a double fistful of nicotine. so i actually might give irish flake a try again instead of going for my usual plug. i'm always looking for a good nicotine buzz, but i have a high tolerance. i doubt i'll bother to age it.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
University Flake is lovely stuff, especially when aged.
The Irish Flake is a different beast and makes my head spin. Yet it is tasty and I can smoke it slowly in a small bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.