PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Sniffle, sniffle. Many years ago, before the brute Irish Flake was born, this was a fantastic tobacco with some balls, a nice gentle, berry, top note and some wonderful nutty burley undertones, no longer. This is a mere shadow of what it used to be, an imposter, a wuss and a wimp. Not only has the flavor profile gone completely kooky, I simply don't even recognize this, no depth, no strength. Oh yeah, and I hate the fat square tin. Aside from the muscle lost, they even gave IF the cool as hell rectangle tin. (Wagging finger) Bad Peterson, Bad! A true Bastardization.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Sorry for the slam review, but this was one of the first blends I started smoking and it truly has changed a great deal. If you have not tried the older blend which disappeared about 7 years ago or so, you may like this light burley.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Not an isolated observation, seadog. Many of our old favorite blends have changed when they moved to either Sweden or Germany. IF probably suffers from the loss of the Irish Sea air.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I believe Rattray kept the original recipe when production changed hands a few years ago. If I recall correctly, it's called "Wallace Flake". I've not tried it yet, but it might be closer to the old blend.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
UF has long been a favorite of mine. Only the first few tins I had of it years ago were the original. I'm curious what exactly the "mahogany" was that was listed on those tins.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Having only started smoking a pipe a few months ago, I didn't have a chance to try the old version. I did recently try the current version being sold and love it.
Wish I had a chance to try the older style from your description of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tin of Irish Flake from Peterson on deck, at least thinking of opening it, and I'm hoping for better.

Since I didn't know any grand older version of this one, maybe it will please me anyway. I'm enjoying a

number of bulk and open blends already, so I'm slow to open a new one. "Recommended for the

experienced pipe smoker" on the tin gives me hope.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Well if you like the new stuff then that's a good thing! You'll never know what youre missing...ignorance is bliss! :)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Unfortunately, the new version (both Peterson and Wallace Flake) are no where near what the old version was. I definitely prefer the old but went a bunch of years without smoking any, so the newer versions are good because they are not compared with the old. If that makes any sense. The cut on the old was more of a thick crumble cake rather than the thin strips we have now.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
mrenglish: did you find the Wallace Flake superior to the current iteration of Uni Flake, or are they about the same?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I found them about the same. The Wallace flake was slightly sweeter, the University Flake was from around 2010 and the topping has dissipated some. I am not sure who is making the current University Flake but it is different even from the 2010. The current production has much wider flakes than when K&K was distributing it.
Its all quite confusing. I guess Orlik made the tobaccos for K&K, they just tinned the flakes up. So Wallace Flake is being made by Orlik but am not sure who is making the current University Flake.
I just pulled some University Flake out from 2002. It's not a crumble cut like I thought, but much thicker flakes than the current.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I believe Peterson changed production from K&K to Mac Baren last year or the year before.
I've only had the blue labeled square tin. The first time I had it I was new to the pipe world and it was a bit much in the nicotine department for me. Now that I've been at it for a few years and have had Luxury Bullseye Flake, which most say is a medium strength blend, and it doesn't effect me I have purchased a new tin of UF and will give it another go.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've smoked a good bit of UF, and it used to be my favorite. But when I smoked a tin a year or two ago, I couldn't find anything to like and haven't bought any since. Same with IF, exactly, smoked a lot of it, bought a tin in the recent past and didn't like it. I disliked neither, but that's a far cry from the affection I used to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.