PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stavros388

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
Greetings,
I've been smoking pipes for about 5 years and inherited quite a few pipes from my father who passed away a couple of years ago. He left a box of Brigham pipe filters behind, too, but they don't fit any of the pipes I have. I am just wondering if there is a universal "one-size-fits-all" kind of filter out there that just reduces or captures tar? Do most people use filters here?
Thanks in advance,

Stavros

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome to the forum! Don't use them myself, but filters come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and materials. Some are company specific, but if a pipe is made for a filter, similar sized filters from other companies will work. Pipe filters really don't work like a cigarette filter, they are really just there to trap moisture, and to cool harsher blends. They also make it nearly impossible to run a pipe cleaner down the stem without disassembling the pipe.

stavros388

Lurker
Jul 4, 2015
Thanks for your reply, chasingembers! I just did a search and found heaps of relevant info here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-filter-or-no-pipe-filter-that-is-the-question
Having read some of that thread, I think for now I'll just continue to go without a filter because I really have no idea what filter would fit in what pipe.
Cheers!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome! And yes, if it has to do with pipes, there is lots of valuable information here!
Happy smoking,

Duane

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a lot to know about filters and non-filter pipes, and adapting filter pipes to not using a filter. I think Brigham pipes rock maple inserts are distinct to that pipe. I think 6 mm filters like Dr. Grabow, Medico, and even Savenelli balsa are interchangeable on most pipes, as is the Savenelli adaptor to make a filter pipe into a non-filter pipe. The 9 mm filters are their own animal, but I think they may be interchangeable between 9 mm filter pipes to some degree. Then there are other filter-like items like the Falcon moisture rings that fit below the bowl. People improvise filters from pipe cleaners in various ways. It is my impression that most Forums members smoke mostly without filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.