PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I finally decided to try some real Lakeland tobacco's and I have to say I'm absolutely hooked. I tried Gousemoor for the first time yesterday and even amongst Lakeland's this tobacco is the strangest, most unique tobacco I have tried to date. It's definitely an acquired taste and I find myself acquiring it. It almost tastes like what burning sage smells like.
What's the most unique tobacco/tobacco blend you've smoked thus far?

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
To me there's nothing else like Stonehaven or Haddo's Delight.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Motzek Strang
JimInks kept posting in the "what are you smoking" topic about Motzek Strang the "best durn tobacco made today" which turned me onto this blend. The taste and smell, an almost an incense quality of this blend is like nothing else I have experienced; I was fortunate enough for a fellow forum member to sell me some. Unfortunately it looks like no more will be produced.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Flanagan blend from HU tobacco is the most unique blend combination I've had, although if I were into aromatics HU has some crazy stuff.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Dark Star. Rub it out completely, cube it, or fold and stuff it. It's different each way and fabulous in all 3.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ennerdale or Grousemoor. Even among the Lakelands, these are pretty unique.
(I was going to say Condor, but even Condor has some basic similarity to other British and Irish plugs.)
Also, I haven't tried it, but I would imagine Captain Bob's Blend is pretty unique, being grape flavored and all.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would have to say Stonehaven, GL Pease Navigator, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. I am sure there are more I could think of but that is my short list. All three are Virginia/Kentucky blends but are really quite different from each other.
Almost forgot St Bruno Flake as that has a very unique topping that I cannot place but certainly enjoy.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Most unique in a good way for me: C&D Black Frigate, G&H Ennerdale, Motzek Strang
Most unique in a bad way for me: C&D Crooner, C&D Captain Bob's Blend, H&H Berry Nice
Nothing against the companies that make the ones I don't like, they do make some tobaccos I really like, just not these.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am currently working on a VA perique cherry blend. Blended some yesterday and will try it out in a day or so. Letting the tobaccos meld a little.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The most unique I've ever smoked is Dan Tobacco's Holly's Non Plus Ultra, by far the worst blend I ever put in a pipe. It left an awful taste in my mouth for an entire day. I still have the tin if anyone's interested.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Semois is a fairly unique and fascinating smoke for me ... nothing quite like it.
That Grousemoor is certainly a different bird, though. I get a real "lemongrass" sort of flavor from it. 8O

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX

I'm going to have to try this one, I've never heard of it before.

That Grousemoor is certainly a different bird, though. I get a real "lemongrass" sort of flavor from it. 8O

I agree, I get the lemongrass as well, but there is more to it that I just can't get my finger on. I love blends that make ya think. Dark Flake scented is another one that I thought I would hate but it's made it in my top 5 list, it's superb!

Motzek Strang

A member from another forum was nice enough to gift me about a 2 inch rope and I'm in love with the stuff... it is a shame that it's no longer obtainable.

To me there's nothing else like Stonehaven or Haddo's Delight.

That's it! I have to break some Stonehaven out of me cellar, I love the stuff and it's been far too long since I've smoked it. I have an open tin of Haddo's but it just doesn't want to get along with me now. I used to smoke it regularly some years back.

Semois is a fairly unique and fascinating smoke for me ... nothing quite like it.

This makes it into my shopping cart for every order but I keep "bumping" it off the list for "next time". I'll have to make the plunge next time... for real.

I am currently working on a VA perique cherry blend. Blended some yesterday and will try it out in a day or so. Letting the tobaccos meld a little.

That sounds interesting... I could see it working, actually. Let us know how it goes. Do you have a thread on the subject?

Most unique in a good way for me: C&D Black Frigate, G&H Ennerdale, Motzek Strang

I've been seeing Black Frigate pop up frequently, It's got my attention now.
Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried the blend by C&D (I think) that uses Deer Tongue? That sounds like it would be an interesting blend.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Hmmm, Motzek Strang no longer obtainable...perhaps just a bit more?...
http://dein-tabak.de/product_info.php?info=p34_strang-curly--pur--geschnitten---100gr-.html

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
834205cb9d7db6d39f6987830394ec86debac614119a228a4eb5be2dd515da51.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.