PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I'm not sure where to put this, but here goes:
I ran into a fellow over the weekend whose father-in-law gave him a can of Union Jack Cut Plug years back. He let it sit in his garage, I believe he said. Or, maybe on a shelf. Anyway, it was unopened.
The tobacco was manufactured by Larus & Brother, Richmond, Va.
Does anyone know anything about this tobacco? The guy says it was just absolutely tasty, since it was close to 10-15 years old in the can.
I’d love to try this cut plug, if it is around in any iteration.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
union-jack-back-150x112.jpg

I tried to get this with the Union Jack Cut Plug post...but I'm just too illiterate technically to make it work. I hope this works as well.

May 31, 2012
I ain't familar with it, but the well-renowned Bob Runowski(RIP) held it in high regard when asked what his favorite tobaccos were: "Blue Boar Rough Cut (American Tobacco Co), followed by [in no specific order] Union Jack Cut Plug (Larus), ERRd (Larus and Lane), Bulwark flake navy cut (Wills), and Gallaher's Mellow VA. AS one might have guessed, all of them are gone in their original forms. But, never forgotten even in the imperfect memories."
I think it was a straight burley and regardless of what everybody says, I think well-aged burley is something very special...
...you'd have to look around antique shops because I think it went out of production in the early 70's, or you can keep an eye out on the auction blocks, but there's other folk lookin' too and this here can sold for $73!!!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261072160602&clk_rvr_id=454216802273

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Lowercase: Thanks for the information. I'll check out eBay. Last time I purchased some "heirloom" tobacco, though, it was costly, and nothing but dust. Haven't done that since.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Read this post. There may be a couple other posts, in the same time frame, related to this one:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/85-years-do-i-dare
PawPaw hasn't posted in 7 months now, according to his profile. I hope he is well, he was a good dude.
I got a chance to smoke 3-4 bowls out of the referenced tin. I recall it as being very, very mellow.
The only description of it I could find is:
A blend of Bright flake, Red Virginia, Burley cube cut, Latakia and Perique with a mild fruit flavor.
As my memory serves, I could taste no real Latakia in it. If it was ever present, as a taste, it had long since mellowed out and gone. The fruit flavor was there, still. Almost tasting of Juicy Fruit gum, but not in a bad or weird way. I guess when people talk about the grape in Bobs Blend as being "okay, even though it sounds weird" (I haven't smoked any), well the Juicy Fruit flavor just hung way in the back of the smoke and didn't make it all weird.
In any case, it was good stuff. How a knuckle dragger like myself got to smoke some is beyond my ken, but it is an experience I won't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.