Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
A good day to one and all
Unhappy at the moment with my pipe and need advise.
I have a falcon pipe in which I was smoking Mick Mcquaid plug, I used to smoke cigars and found it gave me a similar experience, however lately I have been smoking a few aromatics which has been fine for a time.
After smoking from a clay pipe yesterday I now realise i'm getting very little of the flavour and it's even difficult to distinguish whats what. I follow proper cleaning instructions but doesn't seem to make a great difference and I feel i'm missing out.
The pipe also has a slight chemically taste which I can't seem to shift and i'm unconvinced about the dry ring though I understand it's purpose do I need to change it on every single smoke? or risk a bad smoke?
Help
Cheers

James

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Is it possible that it's ghosted with Plug as I have only smoked the one aromatic blend from the falcon and as I say not getting the full flavours.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
After three months smoking a pipe, Im just now finding what some of what works for me. Smoking limits smell and taste senses Ive experienced from the years of smoking unfiltered roll you own cigarettes. I like latakia I think a lot because of its strong flavor. After a while I cant taste it as much so I smoke some CH or PA to reset the taste buds. This helps me.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Though I've never owned a Falcon, I do believe the "Dry Ring" in them acts mainly as a moisture absorber. Much the way paper and balsa filters do in other pipes. It's pretty safe to say that those things will get pretty nasty after a couple of smokes. If I were you, I'd change it at least every 2nd smoke, or leave it out all together.
I read your other post where you said you liked the way your clay smoked, and that you also broke it. Have you thought about getting a Meerschaum pipe?

Meerschaum shares a lot of the same characteristics as clay. It is still somewhat fragile, yet more durable than clay, and the generally come with a fitted hard shell case for protection and storage. It also doesn't impart any flavor to the tobacco like a clay. They can also be smoked with little to no rest between bowls.

If you do decide to get one, make sure it's a solid "block" meer, and not one made from pressed meerschaum dust.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Hawke It's worth trying
Does anyone on here leave the dry ring out on the Falcon?
(thanks for above reply hadn't seen that before this post)
also will definitely look into Meerschaum pipes thanks for the heads up

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I've found that MMcQ Plug does have a bit of a ghosting effect on briar. +1 on the meer, they don't ghost half as badly and deliver a cool, "pure" tasting smoke.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
James
Nothing wrong with leaving the dry ring out, I do mostly, quick wipe out of the base after a couple of bowls full does the trick. I just swap the bowl next day and let the other dry out.
If you are going to use a dry ring usually takes about 4/5 bowls before it becomes gooey and useless, depending on the blend of tobacco your using.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I think I may just leave it out as I'm having no problems with a wet smoke, I may purchase another bowl as I only have the one for the Falcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.