PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Ok so i was on ebay and i found a beautifull savenelli pipe that was up for offer it was unfinished.This pipe was really beautifull.My only problem being of a newcomer to the sport is i was unfamiliar with the term unfinished.Can you fine fellow pipers give me the rundown on unfinished pipes is it risky and what do i have to do to make it a finished pipe.As if i purchased i would like to smoke it asap.Thanks brothers.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
I take that to mean that it's not stained. Naked wood. Sanded and maybe waxed, but no color applied. It probably doesn't need any work done to complete it. You could smoke it right away.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
I know that Savinelli did make a series of unstained and unwaxed pipes. The line was called Molinella. They stopped making them in the 1970s.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Savinelli has an unfinished line of pipes that have no stain or wax added. Its just a natural wood looking pipe. Nothing fancy about them but the price(around $50 new). They tend to get darker from smoking and the natural oil from your hand. Great value, great price, worth the purchase.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I have a Brigham Country Club natural freehand that I love love love! Been smoking it for about a year now. Although they are not stained or waxed, over time the wood absorbs the oil from your skin which helps both darken and protect the pipe. I've grown very attached to my Brigham. It's like it becomes a part of you. I say next opportunity you get to own a natural pipe, do it! You'll enjoy seeing it change through the years.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Natural, unfinished, naked or whatever you want to call these pipes, they do make great smokers IMO. Yes, they may have a flaw or two but you are not buying a piece of art. I have several unfinished pipes and, as already noted, they will color to a beautiful, warm brown.
Russ O. at P&C currently has a bunch of unfinished SAVs for $55.95:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/76225/savinelli-unfinished-vulcanite/

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
PipesandLeaf has a good selection of unfinished Savinelli Series III pipes - with either lucite or vulcanite stems. The Series III is being discontinued, or moved to Rossi, P&L might get one more shipment in. They run about $50.00
I bought a bent apple shape and love it! This is a well made, thick walled, solid pipe. There is a small flaw on the bowl, but nothing to be upset about. The oils from your hand will slowly color the pipe. This is the picture from their website of my pipe:

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Amazing.Thanks for all the reply's guys i much appreciate it.50 bucks is about what the savenelli would of cost shipped to my p.o. box.Also thanks for letting me know where i can find unfinished pipes at a great price.Gonna definitely look into it as it does not sound like a bad idea.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Unfinished pipes (no stain, no wax, etc) can, over time, become some of the most beautiful pipes of all. Over time, they will absorb oils from you hands and take on a patina that even the most skilled pipe makers cannot ever hope to rival.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The pipe takes on a wonderful patina, especially when you smoke it with unwashed hands after eating some pepperoni pizza or when changing you car's oil (both are the same thing).

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
I think to get one of this, at my place it offered for 55us$

10556218_1460662450851265_5089769415279881201_n.jpg

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
I have an LJ Peretti "Bostonian" that is unfinished. For $40 its a really nice pipe!

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
wfin73, that's good info there about LJ Peretti.

I googled him and found his site.

Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unfinished pipes are a great value and become quite handsome as you smoke them. I have two Savenellis I bought

unfinished thirty plus years ago, and they look really great, better than pipes that come finished when new, in some

cases. You should know that most (all?) of the Savenelli unfinished pipes come without a balsa filter or any filter or

adaptor. To many of us, this is a plus, since we'd prefer that in a pipe, but just so you know what you're getting.

I also have a Cassnao bought unfinished in more recent years, also looking good, and a Savenelli straight/panel/billiard,

bought unfinished, that is breaking in well. I recommend unfinished pipes to every pipe smoker; it's a special experience

to smoke your way to a perfect finish. I consider the fills, which are minor, as individual marks that add character. These

are briars, not grand pianos.

Jan 8, 2013
I have an unfinished Sav and it's a pretty good little pipe. I don't smoke it as often as a Nording Signature I have that is also unfinished, but what the others say about unfinished pipes is very true. My Nording is developing a lovely patina that I know will only get better the more I smoke it. The same with the Savinelli :)

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
LJ Peretti doesn't have an online store per say, but you can call and order anything you want over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.