PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I have one in the mail. I bought it for reasons other than the finish, or lack thereof. What should I do with it? Stain and/or wax? Nose/forehead grease? I'm thinking I'm just going to let my already sweaty/oily hands do their thing and see what happens. Just wondered what y'all would do.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I have a Savinelli Series III 804 KS that I have been enjoying watching it color. I have not put any thing on it except the oil from my hands. It is really looking nice now.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Post a picture when you get it and the opinions will flow. Telling us the make and shape will also help. I have a Nording Signature and it has been fun watching the color develop over the past 2 years so that's always an option.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like to do a dark stain and then sand it down again lightly then do a brighter color; it really makes the grain pop. I've never done one naturally, but it's an interesting idea.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
With 600 and 1200 grit sand papers you can do start over again unless stained.

To me stain is good but I like a virgin,

No stain no coloring just do some buffing and put 3 to 5 times carnauba waxing.

It will bring you some natural color of grains and birdeyes.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks Jeremy, looks like it's coming along nicely. I think I'm leaning towards going that route, but I'm still waiting on its arrival.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
So after 24 calendar days, my unfinished Butz-Choquin bulldog arrived from Paronelli's. Nothing special except that it is from 1980, my birth year :wink:

image38-600x450.jpg

image37-600x450.jpg

image36-600x450.jpg

image35-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are going to stain it as a pipe craft project, buy another one and just let it be. It is pretty wonderful

how unfinished pipes just finish themselves with smoking. I have two unfinished Savs from about 35 years

ago that, to me, are just beautiful. If you polish them up with a rag. they glow. I recently bought another

one. The two older ones are a trim spare billiard and a terrific zulu (404 shape). The new one is a billiard panel.

This doesn't look like stain. It's a kind of matte finish but has a depth that's really classy. My local pipe shop

owner praised one of them, the billiard, for being unpretentious, but I think they have a kind of rustic classiness

that can't be matched by anything else.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Man that's a beauty! The grain will really start to come through in a year or so. I suggest you rub your thumb across your nose/forehead and give it a coat of oil every day or whenever you handle the pipe. It'll color a bit faster and help protect it. You're gonna like watching it change :) Excellent buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.