PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I just picked up a Comoy bulldog (409) with stampings that I'm not familiar with. On the right side is the standard circular "made in london" with "England" below. On the left side it reads "COMOYS", on the second line, which fades in the middle "COMA?? COMMISSION" and on the third line "S.L.E.". Any thoughts on this pipe?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm not an expert on this, but I had a GBD pipe in the 1980s that was stamped "Command Commission", so I'm thinking that Comoy might have done the same. I can't remember what the significance of the stamping was, but it was a rather nice smoking pipe. I ended up selling it years ago for some reason.

Now you've peaked my interest in it... :|

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
COMOYS is straightline. The spacing is about right that the center line could read "COMMAND COMMISSION". I will try to get a picture posted in the morning.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I just found a reference to two Comoy command commission pipes in Pipes Digest,September 20,1997 #242. I,therefore, assume that is what I have but there was no information about the pipes. It is a nice little pipe though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is a Comoys "Command Commission" stamped pipe that was sold on Ebay last year (1057, a favorite shape!) This is a Cadogan era Comoys made after 1982. (stamped C)
From the ad:

Shank stamp: COMOY'S

Command Commission

S.L.E.

L
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-Command-Commission-England-Estate-Pipe-1850-/291309512004?nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
$_12.JPG

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Yes, those would be the stampings as they appear on my pipe. I had never seen one of these before now. One of the great things about this hobby, there's always more to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.