PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder how many pipe smokers smoke mainly and mostly only one blend. My dad smoked only Granger for about fifty years, with a few years off for King Edward cigars. An elder smoker I befriended smoked only Prince Albert. What would you guess is the percent of pipe smokers who usually only have one blend on hand, and that for years at a time? Forums culture is devoted to a variety of blends, always looking for new blends, and savoring rare blends when they can be scored. Can you imagine smoking mostly one blend on an ongoing basis? Why or why not? Anyone out there who does only one blend?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can imagine it, but not for myself unless under duress. Too many fine English blends alone, not to mention other types I usually don't smoke.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My last decade of cigarette smoking was American Spirit RYO pouches with no voluntary deviation.
With all of the great flavors I've had through the pipe, I couldn't imagine limiting myself.
jay-roger.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think brand loyalty is most prevalent among cigarette smokers. When I started pipe smoking in the late '60s, there were dozens of OTC pipe blends to explore -- mostly cased aromatics promising flavors that had little to do with the taste of tobacco -- and I flitted from one to the next like a hummingbird.
It wasn't until a knowledgeable friend introduced me to English blends that I settled-in, as it were. Even so, I moved pretty freely within the genre. Pipe smoking is more about flavor and variations than nicotine consumption, and that encourages experimentation exploration.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
My pop pop only smoked Half and Half. I can't imagine it for myself too many choices so little time. :puffpipe:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I used to smoke only English blends years ago, but have since outgrown them. Heavy lat blends in my cellar now sit to be used as blenders. Mostly Virginia/Oriental blends are smoked by me now but I have every genre around to suit moods. If, however, Luxury Twist Flake was all I had available, I would be content.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I used to smoke only English blends years ago, but have since outgrown them.
That's as arrogant and ignorant statement as I have seen today. Why do you feel the need to put down those of us who smoke little else?

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I didn't take chasingember's comment as a put down. I have outgrown many things in my lifetime:fast cars,fast women,clothes,brown whiskey,etc but I wouldn't begrudge anyone anything that makes them happy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have around 40 blends in my cellar and enjoy them all. I stopped smoking English blends more than a decade ago. I just lost my taste for them after a few year break from my pipes. I remember trying to smoke some Penzance which I loved and thinking it tasted so weird. As much as I love Stonehaven, having to smoke it every day would not be fun.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
When I started smoking a pipe 10 months ago my plan was to find a perfect blend and smoke only that one. Discovering a pipe world for a while I realised there are several hundreds if not thousands of blends available and now I try to get a different blend every time. It's complicated as I have to go abroad to buy natural tobaccos (we can buy only OTC aromatics here, 2 of them actually aren't that bad) or risk to get caught if ordering online which is forbidden in my country. That way costs are significantly higher but I can't imagine to smoke only one or two aromatcs all the time, it would be boring and miss the main purpose of pipe smoking - for me it's flavours and nicotine.

I think there are some "old timers" who still stick to only one blend but we can only guess how many percent. On the other side a fact that many OTC blends are so easily available and still on the market clearly says the producers are obviously making some profit so someone must be buying them. I don't understand for example how Captain Black or even Borkum Riff which don't have the best reviews are so attractive for some smokers.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I can't get myself to enjoy much else than Carter Hall. I've been trying for years now and just can't. If I ever smoke anything else, it's very similar in taste. I enjoy Chatham Manor, but too many bowls and it gets too sweet. Old dark fired, and Briar Fox, are a rare treat sometimes.
But Carter Hall I can smoke any time, and I'm never disappointed. Those other blends, I HAVE to be feeling spunky.
99% Carter Hall. And happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.