PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So my most recent TAD order finally arrived, and I broke out the pouch of Prince Albert on Friday to see how it compared with the other "codger burleys" that I've been working my way through, slowly. I had to double-check to verify that I had, in fact, received original Prince Albert, as the pouch, once unwrapped and opened, held a hint of a cherry note, with maybe a little vanilla - and I know that PA does come in both Vanilla and Cherry Vanilla aromatic variants. But no - PipesAndCigars.com still has the aromatic varieties listed as "out of stock", and the pouch was indeed properly labeled as plain old Prince Albert...
I loaded up my Mr. Brog Dezerter and sat out on the back porch for a while, checking to see how Prince Albert stacked up against Sir Walter Raleigh and Sugar Barrel. It's got the same sort of one-note experience that I've had with the other two - a solid smoke, but not overly complex. As I kept going, there were some subtleties that I wasn't expecting, but nothing I can describe adequately yet - better flavor than Sir Walter, which just tastes kinda like cigarette smoke to me, not quite as sweet as Sugar Barrel, but nice in its own right.
Having finished up just as my wife texted to let me know she was on her way home, I bundled my smoking gear upstairs and did my usual brushing of teeth and a quick washing of the face - but I still had a bit of "mustache note" going on, which seems to happen with the Burleys for some reason. I was in the kitchen starting dinner when she arrived home and leaned in gingerly for a kiss - she knows that Friday afternoons are my usual smoking time, and she's often home before I've had a chance to wash up.
She tilted her head a little, leaned in for another sniff, and said, "Hey - that one's not too bad!", at which point I showed her the pouch. She actually liked the "pouch note" as well, which is also quite different from her reaction to good ol' Sir Walter ("Yeeech", I believe, was the exact quote on that one).
So - nice to find something besides Lane 1Q that gets a nod. :D

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have once received a compliment on the after smoke smell of Frog Morton which was a surprise! I think that is all.
I like to imagine that my wife would miss the smell if I were gone. She has not admitted that yet.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife does like the tin note of Latakia blends (Black House, in particular) - she's also a Lapsang Souchon fan, and drinks Laphroaig. She's just not as fond of the room and mustache notes, and refers to them as my "Stinky Englishes". :D

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
As of late the wife has been giving her input on room note, so as not to offend or take a chance on any disapproving looks, I've tried to find one she likes. FMC is out door smoking now. But she likes the butternut burley.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Could be worse. She could say "Oh you stink" before you had the chance for a smoke. :P
I can lend you my boxer for a night. A few toots from him and she will be begging you to smoke indoors.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
She drinks Laphroaig? That's the one single malt my wife complains about when I drink it. Says it is stinky and there I am in nirvana!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, PA is one of my main baccys. Wife doesn't seem to mind, I smoke in the house. Sometimes I will add about 1/3 Butternut Burley to it for that extra "sweet" smell.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'm lucky also, my wife has liked most any tobaccos I've tried. There's only been a couple that she looked funny at, but even then was ok with them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My wife just discovered that she likes the room note of latakia as well.
Reminds her of Mesquite wood in a desert campfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.