PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I began the tobacco journey around three months ago with at first OTC tobaccos, then mild tobaccos (at least mild by review standards) and have worked my way up to medium to strong tobaccos. I fully expected, and have found, that the stronger tobaccos generally have a bigger nicotine kick. What has surprised me is this:

1. I prefer stronger tobaccos

2. I get less bite from stronger tobaccos than mild tobaccos
I didn't expect to enjoy strong tobaccos. But I do.
I would have expected that, say, Peterson Irish Flake would have more tongue bite than Lane 1Q. Or that Briar Fox or Dunhill Flake would have more bite than Prince Albert. But I'm actually finding the opposite. What I'm finding is an inverse relationship between strength of tobacco and tongue bite (and other discomforts).
I have no idea why.

Jun 4, 2014
I have to agree, I find the stronger tobacco's do tend to bite less. I have to guess that some of the tobacco in the stronger blends has undergone a longer fermentation process and this helps lesson the bite.

I also like stronger blends, I like tend towards stronger cigars.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Andy,
A lot of people say that the more powerful the blend the less the tongue bite. That is probably due to the fact that you don't puff as often (subconsciously looking for flavor or Vitamin-N), and that keeps the smoke cooler and less heat travelling over your wagger.
Best,
Pipestud

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I wrote this post after finishing a bowl of Dunhill Flake in a Peterson System Standard 314. It was my first successful fold and stuff of a flake. Up to this time I had mediocre lighting results with the fold and stuff method. Then last night I watched a video where one fellow cuts the top off the fold and rubs it out. And uses the rubbed out tobacco at the top to get a good cherry. Worked like a charm, and smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl with just a few relights (yes, I did smoke very slowly).
No question that I do smoke slower with a more powerful tobacco. But I think it's more than that - at least for me, anyway.
But it will take some time to work up to all the nicotine in stronger tobaccos. I have found that Peterson Irish Flake is not for the faint of heart.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely less tongue bite and stinging gums when you brush your teeth, etc., with stronger tobacco. Even before

you acclimate to a stronger blend, hence don't change your pace/cadence, there's still less bite. I think it has more

to do with stronger tobaccos having fewer casings, flavorings, and hence less moisture causing steam that burns,

and also fewer odd lot chemicals that can burn. It's counter-intuitive. You light up this reputed kick-ass tobacco,

and it starts mothering you. Go figure.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Never had this problem with a Condor/Jack Knife blend or a Condor/Tambo blend and never with a Condor/Black Twist blend with a touch of Tambo added. The stronger blends seems to mitigate against tongue bite but then again my tongue may be old shoe leather! :rofl:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What Pipestud said rings true to me. I've only been puffing in earnest for about the same length of time as some of you and have been learning a lot having found this forum. I do think that tongue bite is knowing your particular tobacco's characteristics and pacing accordingly.

I started with pretty much roll your own cigarette tobacco, somewhere around May. I found this place pretty quick after that, but not quick enough. I learned.

The texture of the likes of PA and SWR require a tighter pack to burn longer...yet a tight pack leads to power draw which is not cool. Flakes seem to want to burn like firewood. Nice and slow, like any bowl, really.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A test of how tolerant you are of strong blends is try Samuel Gawith's 1792 and their Brown Rope. If you can take those in stride then you're a confirmed manly piper. I won't even suggest the Malaysian stuff at this point. Good luck and have fun.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
A test of how tolerant you are of strong blends is try Samuel Gawith's 1792 and their Brown Rope. If you can take those in stride then you're a confirmed manly piper. I won't even suggest the Malaysian stuff at this point. Good luck and have fun.
I've heard rumors about 1792. But since I've never actually seen anyone return from the venture, I've withheld purchasing a tin. Perhaps my next order.

Status
Not open for further replies.