PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
This past week I wanted to explore the world of Latakia. Being somewhat new to smoking the Brair, my only experience with English Blends have been the "Frog" brands from McClelland. I have smoked everything in that line and love them and shave had no issues at all. This past week I went to my nearest Tobacconist; B&B Tobacconist in Asheville, NC (sorry shameless plug there!) They gave me a great deal on a few ounces from three of there bulk blends. The blends were Pirate Kake,London Bridge, and Becks Ol' Limey Bastard. After trying these I found that each left a very crazy metallic taste; like I tin foil in my mouth. I tried a search here on the forums and Google and really didn't find to much on it. I see a lot of folks have issues with burly or certain Virginian's but is this common with Latakia as well? I guess to sum my question up is this the Latakia or something else in the blend? Any thoughts would be very helpful!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I avoid Latakia like the plague. It destroys the sensitivity of my taste buds to the point I really can't enjoy my subtle

Virginias; and from an experience of long ago, I found it deposits a vile -- almost oily -- smoke residue on everything

in the room. Lots of folks like the leathery, peaty campfire taste -- they can have it. Same goes for most fire cured leaf.

Certain health conditions, or perhaps just temporary situations of mouth chemistry, can produce that metallic taste.

I've never heard anyone associate it with Latakia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To me, Latakia is like red pepper flakes or garlic in cooking. Done with skill and discretion, it can give a delightful

boost to the flavor of the other tobaccos like Virginias, Burleys, Cavendish and Orientals. Overdone, it is just sort of

a one-time kick and wears out fast. But I can understand that some don't want it at all, or have grown out of it.

In Dunhill 965, Nat Sherman 536, and Sutliff's Westminster, I think the Lat is A-Okay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only Latakia blend I was ever taken with completely was Sobranie Reserve back in the 70's. It had an incense-like

quality that danced at the margins, and defied one's ability to pin it down decisively. It was quite intriguing.

I think it is Russ Ouellette who said that he can create that with some variety of Oriental leaf.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'll go out on a limb here and guess that these bulk blends were sourced from Lane Ltd., which is where most stores get their bulk tobaccos. The metallic taste could be from the humectant used for those tobaccos (probably propylene glycol). I get the same metallic taste from many aromatics, but just about any tobacco I've had from Lane does that to my palate. And this includes English blends blended by the shop using Lane tobaccos. That could be it. Do you get a similar taste from heavy aromatics?

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Cool name for pipe tobacco--'Ol Limey Bastard...willing to try it just for the name. Beck's should name a Virginia blend 'Ol Dodgy Bastard and an aromatic blend 'Ol Cheeky Bastard. I'd try 'em all.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've found that when I take a break from smoking Latakia leaf, say for a week or two, when I get back to it, I've found that it takes a number of bowls over say a week to get back into it. In this way, Latakia leaf is an acquired taste, and if smoked only occasionally, it may not take root. But once it does, beware, for it may just become your main leaf.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Fish, you should probably try Merde De Cheval.
So of course, I clicked on the link since I don't speak French and here is its description:
"A long time ago an old customer who was never happy with his pipe tobacco, finally found the right blend. He walked in the shop and said, "I want more of that horse shit tobacco you sold me." This light English tobacco, Merde de Cheval Blend, was born."
Awesome....simply awesome :clap:
I'm such a sucker for clever marketing!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are not getting that metallic taste with your Frog's, then I would suggest that Pitchfork has answered your question. I dabbled in aromatics last summer and was very put off by the metallic taste I got from some of them due to the PG in them. Some people do not taste PG, others like me do.
I would recommend trying the following English blends if you are interested in that style.
GL Pease Caravan

GL Pease Odyssey

Two Friends Deacons Downfall
Greg Pease is considered one of the preeminent blenders of English tobacco's. The Two Friends was create by Greg Pease and Craig Tarler, both master blenders.
I personally no longer smoke any English blends as I lost my taste for them years ago, but when I did, Pease was my go to.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Pitchfork I have not smoked many aromatics so I can not compare it to that. I have tried other bulk tobaccos from them without this happening though. Cigrmaster thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to support my local B&M but for tobacco I may need to go with a better quality retailer. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

tacoman

Lurker
May 16, 2011
I think it is silly to say that B&B is not a quality retailer, simply because you did not like some tobacco you bought there. Many people, myself included, think that OLB is a wonderful smoke, one of the best englishes out there, often compared to MM965 in its prime. It is not a Lane bulk! Pirate Kake is famously made by Cornell and Diehl.
I think you do both yourself and B&B a disservice in writing them off because you smoked something you don't like.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Tacoman I never said anything about writing them off. I love that place and the service it provides. I have two other bulk blends that I will continue to buy from them. Maybe my choice of words were a bit much. I have tried five of there bulk English brands with the same results. I should have stated that I would find another retailer to explore my Latakia journey with. B&B is a top notch joint, with great atmosphere and history, and killer service. I will continue to do business with them every time I pass though Asheville.

Status
Not open for further replies.