PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnut

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
I am not new to smoking a pipe. But recently I seem to be having an issue with an uneven burn of my tobacco. It want to burn down one area, similar to a "run" on a cigar. I think it does have to do with how I am packing my bowl but I have not changed the way I pack the my pipe, at least I don't think I have. I have not changed tobaccos, and I light it the same as before. This is not particular to just one pipe.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
It could be the way you pack your bowl. There are multiple methods, but I tend to put some in, push it down, put more in, push it down, rinse and repeat until the bowl is full. How do you light? If you use a match or even a lighter (cheap bics arent bad but they will change the taste slightly) Are you going in a circular motion around the bowl and in the middle? Just leave a milimeter or two below the rim of the bowl, and light circularly and you should have a nice even burn all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Remember not to pack too tightly.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I agree with youngster. I would also suggest a tamper if you don't have one. If you do, then be sure to tamper evenly after your first few lights. And continue to occasionally tamper evenly around the bowl throughout your smoke so that it burns evenly. Best of luck to ya!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I agree that uneven burn usually has to with both packing and lighting. However, it could be due to the draft hole being off center at the bottom of the bowl. Often, with an off centered draft hole the tobacco may tend to burn to one side of the bowl. However, if your pipe's draft hole is OK it is probably only filling and lighting your tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.