PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
I have searched the forums, and could not find exactly what I was looking for… When I smoke my pipe, it feels like a hotspot develops randomly on the outside of the bowl. It is never in the same spot, and only lasts for a minute or two. I generally smoke very slowly (thanks to all the postings and YTPC videos on “sipping”) , and as soon as I feel one of those spots develop, I take a break until it is the same temp as the rest of the bowl. The whole bowl stays relatively cool, so how concerned should I be about these hotspots? I definitely do not want to damage any of my pipes, and the insides of all my bowls show no signs of burnout. Thanks!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it at all - what's happening is you have some tobacco lit close to the edge, and it heats up the pipe right there, then the burn zone moves one. Controlling the burn zone is what pipe smoking is all about. Notice I did not say "generating a huge, magnificent and totally even burn zone". I think you're fine, and a thinner pipe will show this kind of thing more than a thicker pipe. But all pipes do this every smoke - the middle is warm during the middle of the smoke, the bottom is warm at the end!
Packing flake or coins, I find that the burn zone drifts all over the place. I don't even consider it any more.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Thank you Sasquatch, this forum is just awesome. The more I read through it the more I realize how little I know! Is there a guideline or anything about how hot (to the touch) is tolerable for one of those hotspots, other than the ‘hold your bowl to your cheek’ method for overall bowl heat?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think the general answer is, it shouldn't ever be too hot to touch. That said, some sugary stuff will burn hotter by nature than the cooler of the blendings - I think maybe Early Morning Pipe is the easiest/coolest stuff I know of. Aromatics tends to burn a little hotter, and so do pure virginias. Burley bases and English (latakia) mixtures are a little cooler in general.
Also like I said, a super thin/tiny pipe is bound to transmit more heat than one with 1/2" thick walls - you could scorch the hell out of a big fat pipe and never know it from hand-feel!
If I feel a pipe getting hot, I just let it go out and cool off a bit, and re-light. None of this "smoked to fine gray ash with one match" baloney.
As a pipe cakes up inside you'll feel less heat too, so if this is a new pipe, it will definitely improve in that regard with 20 smokes under its belt.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bowl thickness is key in addition to how hot you tend to smoke. Ironically, damp tobacco burns hotter than dry, as more heat is needed to dissipate the moisture before the leaf can ignite.
But sounds like you're doing the right thing, and checking the chamber.
Any pix of the chamber?

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Sasquatch - I’m really not an Aromatic fan, I mostly notice it on Virginia blends which I have read are higher in sugar anyway, but it does seem to be a trend with about any pipe and tobacco I smoke, except my author. The one I was smoking which led to enough concern for my original post is a billiard estate pipe with thinner walls than most of my other pipes. It’s also new, and I think it had been reamed before I got it. They have never gotten too hot to touch, I guess you could describe those spots as uncomfortably warm.. I’ll keep a close eye on the chambers and update if there are any changes to them. Thank you for all the input!
Jpmcwjr- let me go back and read the sticky on posting pictures, get them up in a few!

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
The instructions were great, apparently a lot better than my cell service. Can’t them to upload, I’ll try again next time I get on some WiFi.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'm with sasquatch, sometimes the ember will be closer to the side of the bowl and will then heat it up. I tend to stop and let the pipe cool off when it's hot instead of just warm if that makes any sense..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting observation. I haven't noticed the migration of hot spots. Smaller pipes with thinner walled bowls certainly burn hotter, but I haven't noticed that movement. I'll see if I can notice that.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
5d007974-ee6f-4e09-b143-983491ffaca9-600x450.jpg
b1097e3e-f4e2-425a-a39e-e69197216b85-600x450.jpg

Finally got the pictures to upload.
The stained finish is the estate pipe which led to my original post. It does have thinner walls, but I also notice it on the other pipe (an unfinished Luca Vanetti bent egg).

I have a few bulldogs that tend to heat up in the heal quicker, because the briar is thinner there. But, really it is the duty of the smoker to keep the bowl cool by going slow, smoke it on the verge of going out. There are so many more rewards with slowing down; more nicotine absorption, faster cake (if that's your thing), way more flavor, and it doesn't just waste all of that beautifully wonderful delicious smoke out into the air. I tend to suggest that men start with a clay pipe first. Using a thick briar pipe is just allowing you to develop bad habits. But, if you can keep a clay pipe cool, you can keep any pipe cool, and you will reap more rewards by smoking,.. slllllooooowwwwwwww.

Status
Not open for further replies.