PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

Maybe this is not the best place to ask my question. However, I do suspect some members of our community are well versed into the IT reality: its functioning, how computers work the way they do, how data and information is travelling from one computer to another; how IA's invention was even possible; how is it possible that some people can go around high leveled security firewalls and hack into personal or industry's computers just like opening an unlocked door; etc.

As our world becomes more and more complex and everything becomes more and more dependent on IT, I am trying to understand the whole thing. So I was wondering if any of you IT gurus among us could maybe suggest to me some reading to start with?

Thanks!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/Inevitable-Understanding-Technological-Forces-Future/dp/0143110373/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515708789&sr=8-1&keywords=kevin+kelly

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2016/jun/21/clara-bow-wild-child-hollywood-history-silent-film

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Backdoors are built into most software. Data is tapped at data junctions by governments and siphoned off. Encryption still seems to work if you get certain software with 64bit encryption. Some encryption that isn't commonly available appears to be uncrackable. Many devices can be remotely activated without appearing to be powered on. Buying something like hardware and software is almost a guaranteed way to to give someone your information. If our government wants a secure computer they do not use parts made outside the U.S. and the entire process is under supervised manufacturing.

P

pipebuddy

@georged: thanks for the link.

@brightleaf: any book/site/reading recommended for me to understand it more?
Thanks!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@pipebuddy
My knowledge maybe a bit from the dinosaur era and not a IT major, but I am better than someone who only finished a bachelor degree in computer science.
What do you mean by "to understand it more" / "to understand the whole thing"?

I am asking to know what level of understanding you aim to achieve. To use a key to lock analogy, do you want to know how theoretically someone may open a lock by various ways such as lock picks, or do you want to learn to try picking a lock (e.g. you own lock) for the sake of understanding how things work?

As long as there is a way to gain access to a piece of information, there will be alternative ways to access that same piece of information; one can use various methods to bury a piece of information, but as long as it is not totally destroyed and mixed up with other things, there will also be ways to unearth it. The way security works, in general, is just to make the task so hard or so tedious that the criminals will not attempt it.
Hope to read how others will address this question.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
https://www.wired.com/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

This article was printed in Wired well before Snowden's supposed revelations.

I am not sure what info you're looking for, this is from a government surveillance perspective. Info from a hacker perspective isn't something I think this site wants to promote. There are encrypted email servers, web browsers and chat software. I don't use it myself but am aware of it. If you want to send a pm I can give you the names of some free software.

Here is a really old article about remotely activating phones as listening devices while they are turned off.

https://www.cnet.com/news/fbi-taps-cell-phone-mic-as-eavesdropping-tool/

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
That's an awful big question -- are you talking using personal technology, technology infrastructure, security, the Internet of Things, something else?

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I will name some software that creates encrypted hard drive space on your computer. It seems to be the most secure way, that is commonly available, to keep data. The password can be up to 64 characters long and is only accessible when mounted. It is called Veracrypt and can even have key files required for access. It takes a little bit of time to learn but should prevent access from hackers whoever they are. It is also free.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
I occasionally teach an class on cyber security for non-techies. There are three realities I talk about:

(1) If someone wants in, they will find a way in.

(2) 99.9999999% of us are not interesting enough to be targets for anything other than opportunistic cyber crimes.

(3) 99.9999999% of things we call "hacking" are user errors (forgetting to log out of a shared computer, having stupid-easy passwords, clicking o link that you ought not to).
When Sony was hacked in 2014 the damage caused was less about the fact that someone made it through a firewall. Most of the damage was attributed to the fact that the hackers did a search of the servers and found a document called "passwords" that include passwords for several important encrypted servers and accounts.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I started IT (known then as data processing) back when data was a punched card or paper tape. Sorted or collated on machines with boards that you did the wiring to match your job. I retired about 5 years ago as Sr. Network Engineer (ccnp/wireless). My current words or wisdom is stay away from any type of public WiFi. Turn off WiFi and NFC on your phone when out and about. Use strong passwords and change them often. A password generator is your friend. My current setup.. A dumb-phone with voice and text only. A tablet for surfing, forums, FB, YouTube, etc.. A laptop on the end of a wire for banking, buying, etc.. Never on WiFi.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Doc, I like your advice. The only thing I would also recommend is have one of your kids around to help you if necessary.

P

pipebuddy

Thanks for the great tips!

Where I live, internet access is WIFI but, bouh houh, a password is required to access it - and the router password is provided by the internet company and I'm not even sure I can change it...

So beyond general reading to understand how our world has been more and more linked then dependent on IT for its functioning, I am interested in learning about IT security. How it works, how firewalls are set up, how someone can work his way around my antivirus, etc.

If anyone had reading suggestions, I would really appreciate. Because there is a lot of literature out there and I don't want to start spending money with the Shot in the Dark technique. It could prove expensive and unsuccessful. :mrgreen:

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I am a Network Technician/Engineer for a Telecom ISP.
My background in this field began as a USAF network tech, and a college degree in electronics. For this, I went to a very extensive school which while only one year in length, was 50 hours a week for 52 weeks dedicated solely to computer networks and how they work.
To explain IT in an internet thread is quite frankly, impossible. It's a very interesting (to me), and very complex subject. My best metaphor would be a guy asking "what is Calculus?" without a basis of knowledge in addition and subtraction. It's not an intelligence issue, most people are smart enough to understand the fundamentals, however it is a dearth of information/knowledge issue. I've been doing this for almost 20 years, and I am very specialized (I only understand a narrow portion of the internet), and learn something new every day.
The most fundamental part of networking someone should understand (in my opinion) is the 7 layer OSI model. With that basic understanding, the further minutia can logically fit into place. Wikipedia has some good articles (just google OSI model).
The 7 layer OSI model in many ways is outdated, but the basic functions and how they interact with each other are still relevant, even if the lines are blurred.
To answer the hacking question, the OSI model is relevant. The hacker must work his way up from Layer 1 to at least layer 4 or 5 to access data on the target network.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
This is hilarious topic/question :)
No offense but - Explain to me how the world goes (via forum's posts) .....

And from that point 0 where one has no clue about IT, we dashed to explaining how hackers do it :)

P

pipebuddy

This is hilarious topic/question

No offense but - Explain to me how the world goes (via forum's posts) .....

And from that point 0 where one has no clue about IT, we dashed to explaining how hackers do it
If you go back to the OP you will see I am asking for reading suggestions only.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I think it is a good sign that someone who knows nothing about the technical details understands that there is a need to learn something beyond what salesmen offer. Protecting information from corporate espionage or just because they believe in privacy is a valid concern. There have been many companies that complain about hackers stealing and filing copyrights on their technology after they've invested in the R&D, and run of the mill security software.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I should've said patent instead of copyright.

https://www.windpowermonthly.com/article/960011/trans-atlantic-espionage-claimed-german-wind-company

Status
Not open for further replies.