PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've noticed that lots of tobacco blends are mentioned constantly by pipe smokers. But I've also noticed that some of my favorites seem to never crop up in discussions. So I thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone else wanted to give a shout-out to the blends you love that tend to be overlooked or underrated. (Of course, if you'd like to keep your secrets to yourself, I understand! It can be tough to find some blends already, without encouraging others to start buying them! :))
I want to start by mentioning three.
Rattray's Jocks Mixture. This is a ribbon-cut blend of Virginias, with just a dash of latakia, tied together with unsweetened black cavendish. I find this quite delicious as a change of pace from more latakia-forward blends and straight Virginias. The latakia never stands out; it is purely a condiment here. And the cavendish adds just a light touch of sweetness that seems to bring the whole blend together beautifully. I think this should age wonderfully.
Dan Tobacco's London Blend #1000. For me, this is the standard medium-weight English by which I judge all others. It is not the best of its type, nor is it a luxury blend like, say, Westminster. But it is a very well-made, consistent, and solid example of what an English blend should be, in my opinion. (For others, this may be the role that Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium plays in their rotation.) I think it's very well worth seeking out, and I'm constantly surprised by how few seem to know about it.
Esoterica's And So to Bed. There have been very few blends that have entranced me from the very first puff. Penzance was one; this was another. There's a lot going on in this blend, and I don't pretend to know all the ingredients. But for me it starts with solid latakia flavors that give way to the orientals, a tiny bit of sweetness (from the cavendish here) that only rarely peeks through, and dark and toasty-tasting Virginias (which I suspect are African). It needs drying out first. But for me this is rich, luscious, delicious stuff.
Anyone else care to share?
Bob

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
All great blends that I have enjoyed over the years. I don't think they are unappreciatedn or underrated but you are right in that we don't often hear about them.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Great topic! I am with you on ASTB; it is an outstanding blend that IMO, Penzance can't hold a flame to. Two of my favorites are MacBaren The Solent Mixture and another that doesn't see alot of showtime is MacBaren Acadian Perique. Both blends are my ideal pipe tobaccos and run the range of where I like to be when I'm smoking.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
One more that I didn't mention that is very nice is MacBaren Navy Mixture. I've never seen it mentioned here but I have recently discovered it and it is high quality stuff.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
dhizzy wrote: "One more that I didn't mention that is very nice is MacBaren Navy Mixture. I've never seen it mentioned here but I have recently discovered it and it is high quality stuff."
+1

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have quite enjoyed 4noggins (bulk) Prairie Wind of late. Its rarely mentioned on these forums, its got a very beautiful "tin" note, smokes really nicely and for a VaPer, I find that it doesn't bite. At all. Not to mention, every time I call to order, I speak with Rich himself and he's a pleasant fellow to deal with and full of good suggestions. Whats not to like?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm mostly a VaPer smoker, so not really into Aros. But at times they are handy for non-smoking guests or smoking in public. Or just for a change of pace to make me appreciate my VaPers. As such, some underrated blends, IMHO:
Savinelli Cavendish and Gatlinburlier Mountain Mall Mix. Two of my favorites. Both get rave reviews on their room notes and if smoked slowly can satisfy the non-aro smoker (at least temporarily). Each has the wife seal of approval.
Stanwell Melange. Amazing tin note. Smoke it slowly and you'll get some of that flavor in the smoke. Great room note. Word on the street is that it ghosts a pipe, so I dedicated a cob.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I am a big fan of my b&m house blends. I dont always know who is the maker but thats cool by me. There is a Scottish blend that I am fond of and an Irish. They also have an english called english commander or something like that. For some reason these are my thing. I like tinned and pouch baccy and pla. To try half and half soon.

Aug 14, 2012
Here are a few I like which are not mentioned here often: Charles Fairborn Balkan, 4 Noggins Button Bay, Gawith & Hoggarth Broken Scotch Cake, Macbaren Dark Twist, McClellend's St. James Woods.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
G&H commonwealth .... English

Orlik Golden slices.... Virginia

IRC 3star blue ...... Aromatic
I dont see these mentioned as much , but fine choices IMO !

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are some of my favorite Virginia flakes that do not get much attention. Besides my SG bulks, Wessex represents the most tins by mfg in my cellar. In my opinion they make some great stuff, unfortunately they are not cheap and they do not come in bulk. Besides the flavors of the Wessex, what I really enjoy is they are totally no bite for me. Even if I am not paying attention and get my pipe too hot to hold, they never bite me.
John Aylesbury Luxury Flake

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake

Wessex Gold Brick, has a small coffee casing which is in the background but can be tasted, it is a really nice plug and fun to play with.

Rotary Navy Cut, has a rum topping which is very slight but tasty.

Fribourg & Treyer Vintage

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bob: thanks for those three recommendations, I wasn't familiar with any of those but enjoy a mild English with some Cavendish.
I'm recently enamored with Chief Catoonah's "Princes Street Mixture" (the John Cotton winner). Perhaps the best English I've enjoyed to this point. A very rich and smooth blend, but not overpowering nicotine wise.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm surprised by how many of you are recommending house blends or blends from individual blenders (rather than companies). I am, by nature, suspicious of such blends, since so many of the stores I've been to are simply renaming bulks from Lane or Stokkebye (or more-generic companies!). But it's encouraging to know that there are some true blenders out there behind the counter!
Bob

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
The only one that I really like and is never mentioned or talked about is W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned. Its a Danish aromatic so its not covered in goop and has a wonderful, almost buttery caramel flavor to it. It's not cheap at around $14 per 100g tin and I imagine it can be a little bitey to some. But it's well worth a try!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Sundays Fantasy from Radfords is one you never hear mentioned and is a different Aero..

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I really like a few you don't hear much about.
McClelland #24: I wish they made this in a full flake instead of broken but I love the flavors of this one. It's a darker flake that is smooth and has the interesting flavors from the drama they blend in. I've always found it to be a very interesting smoke with great deep Virginia flavors and tangy accents to keep it interesting.
C&D Cross Eyed Cricket: This was actually the first tobacco I ever tried in a pipe. I'm sure it holds a special place in my heart because of that. It's a real love it or hate it blend. I've never met anyone that was on the fence over this one. It's an English/Aro crossover in every sense of the word. They describe the topping as a rum punch which comes across as almost a rasin like sweetness to me. Mixed with the smokiness of the latakia I think the flavors are very dynamic and I find it really enjoyable. This is one that I have to smoke fresh to enjoy. I've found that if I pop a tin open it tends to lose some of the aromatic character very quickly. And yes it will ghost a pipe if that's a concern to you.
C&D Bow-Legged Bear: I never hear anyone mention this one. It's a crumble cake that I seriously think they couldn't have blended more variety in to if they tried. It's overall english in character but there is seriously a lot going on in this blend. Virginia is definately not as heavy in it but you can pick up flavors from all over the spectrum with the orientals, latakia and perique all playing together. The only thing I don't like is that this has to be one of the most fragile blends out there. It will easily crumble to dust if you're not careful handling it. It's not as strong nic wise as some of the famous power house blends but this stuff does pack a punch.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
McCranie's has some amazing blends which don't get nearly the amount of lip-service they deserve. Hellsgate, Highland Mixture, Quail Run, Red Flake, Somerled and Southern Cream are all great blends in my book.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.