PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone know anything about this 'Dunhill replacement'? https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/categories/pipe-tobacco-dunhill-pipe-tobacco-replacement

Nov 10, 2018
Not heard about this, but with a little research Charatan's blends were/ are rumored to have been made by Dunhill in the early 1970s from what I could find out, so there is some supposed connection.
Sound interesting but am Leary as I have been told these kinds of lies before.....its just like the old one you know.....just with cheaper parts and a higher price if you know what I mean.

If it does come to be I will be interested to acquire a tin or two, if for nothing else so I can have a good moan!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's a number of "Dunhill" "replacement" blends popping up. Time to clean out the crap that doesn't sell, repackage it, and sell it to the suckers. Dunhill hasn't made tobacco is almost 40 years. With all the really great tobaccos available that are genuine whatsis, why care about ersatz versions of ersatz versions of Dunhill branded blends?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
So these are just match blends? Except this time they have another venerable old English brand name on the tin to justify a price premium? I'd be interested to try a couple, and they may be wonderful, but if it's not the same recipes/leaf being used to make them, I have my doubts about any Dunhill 'replacements'.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I can't find any info on the web about Charatan pipe tobacco and Black Swan Shoppe doesn't say who is making it or anything about the tobaccos, just mentions the the brand and blend names.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
You know what guys ... I may just stick to Robert McConnel after I finish my Dunhill inventory. I am just too tired to hunt all these Dunhill wannabes ...

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
The issue is that in the UK the only tobaccos I have found that are strong enough (heavy cigarette smoker here!), which I like the taste of, and which are not fiddly (I don't get along with Irish Flake due to them being flakes), are the Dunhill ones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with sable. So many fine blends under their own names with no mystery voodoo attached. I enjoy those.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I actually have a tin of original Charatan tobacco. I would be curious to try a revived Charatan blend that wasn't a Dunhill wannabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.