PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I encourage the younger folk not to even start . But there are far worse habits one can partake in . Its a cryin shame you cant send a six year old to get mom a pack of smokes like when I was young . But then again we could leave the keys in the car and the house unlocked . The war on poverty let the scum become lazy and idle , then they turned to crime and drugs to overcome the boredom . As these problems increased the Dept Of Welfare kept looking for things to blame it on . The increased burden of taxes made it where both parents had to work . At this point kids were left to them selves and picked up bad habits because mom was not there to make you walk a straight line . So big government came up with even more and more programs to combat the downfall of society . And that is how we lost our freedoms and started asking stupid questions like is it ok for young kids to smoke .When we knew the answer all along . P.S I have yet to see a underage smoker with a tobacco pipe . Dope pipe sure . peace

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I started smoking a pipe at 17 been at it ever since . I know that both my younger girls started smoking before they were of age. Not living with them full time I had no say as to what they did away from my place.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Thats the point Phil . but too many people raise thier kids with a time out or not at all .My daughter is 15 and she is scared of me so she walks a straight line .Disciplne begins at home at that includes being respectful of the law ,authority ,and other peoples property and being mindful of what is appropriate for thier age group . I was allowed wine at 10 at TG and Xmas does not mean I got to drink suds with old man .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My girls are 17 & 19. Neither smoke, and they both hate the smell of liquor.

Where did I go wrong? Just kidding.

The better half doesn't smoke either.

They all three tolerate my pipe as long as it stays in the man cave.

Around here it's referred to as the "Dog House".
I started when I was 16 with cigarettes, but bought a pipe as soon as I could afford one. Went with "coughin' nails" off and on over the years, it was a convenience thing.

Now that convenience is no longer a consideration, only pipes.
I have never, nor would I ever encourage them to use of either Vitamin N or Vitamin A.

I figure when the are "legal" they may try alcohol, but I don't think they will ever use tobacco.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
I am no expert on children, except that I used to be one. However, it has always seemed to me that the best way to encourage a child to do something is to tell the child he can't do something until he is older. Smoking, driving, drinking,etc.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
pstlpkr - My girls are 17 & 19. Neither smoke, and they both hate the smell of liquor.

Where did I go wrong? Just kidding.
LOL!
porshcigar - I am no expert on children, except that I used to be one. However, it has always seemed to me that the best way to encourage a child to do something is to tell the child he can't do something until he is older. Smoking, driving, drinking,etc.
Man, I couldn't agree more Craig!
I say let them try everything, under supervision of course, let's make sure we are guarding their safety, and that of others.
In my experience, the more freedom and responsibility a child is given, the better they learn how to handle it.
Whether an individual smokes or drinks has zero to do with his or her character as a human being.
Unfortunately, society gets too caught up in meaningless rules that have nothing to do with building character. Molding decent human beings is what we should be more concerned about rather than "Don't do that because it's bad for you".
What would I do specifically in this case?
If the kid was at least a teenager (13+) and wanted to try it, I would let him or her do so only at home with me present.
Now, if we could only get all those kids that smoke weed to switch to pipe tobacco, we would have a boom in business in the industry.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Kevin Said:
"Now, if we could only get all those kids that smoke weed to switch to pipe tobacco, we would have a boom in business in the industry."
They don't have to be mutually exclusive....they actually compliment each other quite nicely....or so I'm told anyway.
The one thing I would encourage people (young or others) to avoid would be factory cigarettes. These days with the FSC paper and all the crap they add there's nothing pleasurable about using them and you just as well drink Ajax. I smoke about a half dozen cigarettes a day. But they are made by me with good clean tobacco. Factory cigarettes are the Meth of tobacco.
But smoking cigars or a pipe or using some form of dipped or chewed tobacco is really not even close in terms of risk. I know that if I had a kid and he or she wanted to smoke I'd be relieved they picked dipping, cigars, or a pipe vs. Marlboro Lights.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
There certainly are worst things in the world than smoking. I will leave it at that.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Underage pipe smoking is, supposedly, the reason why residents of Washington state cannot order pipe tobacco via the internet or phone.
Apparently, some genius has determined that an estimated 30,000 Washington state middle school & high school students have smoked tobacco using a pipe!
I'm with the rest of you...it's the parents responsibility to pass on to their children the values that are important (to the parent). Be it: tobacco use, alcohol use, sex, religion...whatever.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
What I've told my step kids and my own daughter is that no one, I repeat, no one, can tell if they will have an alcohol or nicotine addiction ahead of time. The younger you start either, the longer you will drink and/or smoke. I, despite the 65 year nicotine addiction that killed my 79 year-old Father in a very gruesome manner, started up pipes gain this January after a 32 year or so layoff. I figured I've waited this long, so what the f--k, one or two pipes a day is worth the risk, and damn, the aroma of that Balkan Sasieni with a bit of rye whiskey (a half sheet of whiskey-wet paper towel folded and buried in the middle of a pound in a jar sure has made it worth it so far. So much for the "gruesome death" as a deterrent.

I believe that moderation in all things sounds good, except for sex, of course. No one goes in search of a "moderately" good time in bed. Of course you'll settle for it, but you're (hopefully) not seeking it.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Reason, Residents, Rest, Religion...which one :)
You didn't mean Responsibility did you?
Phil, you must be confused...that's what lawmakers are for.

facefuzz

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
I started smoking a pipe at the age of 11. Never done drugs, rarely drink but have enjoyed a pipe for 44 years. my son has shown no interest and I am glad of that. kids have to make their own decisions and if we do not allow that we de-skill them for everyday life

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Facefuzz,
I think that you will find most here are in agreement with your sentiments regarding underage pipe smoking.

But, as the art of smoke a pipe is a venerable and well regarded one (at least among pipe smokers).

We would hope that when yours have some age and wisdom about them that they would consider a good pipe, a good whiskey, quiet contemplation, and informed conversation to be worthy pursuits.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
He's like yep, let's do the "man thing"... HE WON'T...
He might surprise ya.
Does he indulge in any tobacco? Not even dip? Or is that not col anymore? When I was in Jr. High and beyond (80's) a lot of us dipped. Especially athletes. Almost no smoking though except for the "southsiders" those dirty smoking hoodlums.

facefuzz

Lurker
Apr 7, 2010
Once my son is of an age of majority and if he then decides he wants to use a pipe then i will teach him. It has to be his decision

Mar 6, 2010
I will admit to you all why I posted this, I am 16 years of age and I smoke a pipe, and I just wanted to know your guys opinions, thank you all for the comments. I am glad I smoke rather than cigarettes and proud of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.