Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Members tend to recommend the same name brands of pipes, the old standbys, including

Savenelli, Peterson, Missouri Meerschaums, Stanwell, Nording, and others. Do you have

favorites that never get recommended, that you feel have slipped through the fissures of

pipe smoking consciousness? I think Johs are under-rated, possibly BC's, and the American

pipes by Benton, sold as house pipes by Iwan Ries. These are my examples; what are yours?

Aug 1, 2012
Wally Frank. I haven't gotten a bad one yet and you can get them for next to nothing if you're willing to do a resto.
Also Arley Curtz. His pipes are absolutely amazing smokers and cheap too. You can't buy a better pipe for ≈$100-$150 IMO. Here's one of his pipes available for $170.
38799.jpg

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I am new to the world of pipes but I have been enjoying a Medico Jet Stream lately. It is also the best job I have done to date on restoration.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I have a Brebbia that smokes well, better than any Savinelli I have smoked but all I hear about is the great value of Savinelli's
That is a nice Arley Curtz. I was wondering about his pipes. I think Pipestud has some for sale last week.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My Canadian Brigham 3-dot Moutaineer with the rock maple insert is one fine smoker, one of my best, and is about $80. For all the moisture in the insert when you remove it, it is apparently doing one heck of a job in there. I've had several French Butz Choquins that have all been excellent, and I won't have paid more than about $100 each. I think that's what you mean by BC; if so, I agree.
To figure if you like pipes, I am in the camp of you can't go wrong with an MM cob or two, with some decent tobacco. There are good deals out there. Good thread, mso.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have 5 pipes that I really like that didn't make the standard list. Two of them are Marxman billiards, one Royal Danish freehand and two basket pipes only stamped Italy although one has a B&M stamp in a Zulu and a large bent apple. I value them as much for being good smokers as I do the brands of any of my other pipes; although my Sav and Nording do edge them out in appearances and smoking.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I don't know if Butz-Choquin are under-rated so much as under-the-radar. It seems whenever they come up in conversation they are highly regarded. With the only complaint that they can tend to get quite hot, even though the smoke doesn't.
To that end I'd add my newest acquisition, a Myon, to the list of under-the-radar. It's another french pipe, and though the walls are remarkably thin I can't get this thing to over heat. If you happen to come across a Myon, I say you should give some serious consideration.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have a Rhodesian that is marked simply "London Squire". All I know about it is that is smokes the pants off a lot of my pipes!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Bari gets mentioned from time to time, but I'd certainly put them in the under-rated category. A Danish brand similar to Stanwell, in my opinion they're at least as well made.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Eriksens are a great unappreciated pipe. They are an economy line by Erik Nording. They cost about forty dollars and smoke like hundred dollar pipes. Three of mine are Eriksens.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I third the mention of Aldo Velani.
I would also like to add Hilson pipes. I just picked up my fifth one.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Marksman , they have big open draws and are ugly as heck but they smoke like a dream . Jarl makes a good pipe . GiGi oh so cheap but oh so good .

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I'll add Alpha's to the list. I have about 4 and each is a fine smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.