Uncommon Packaging - Dan Tobacco Germany

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recently one of the pipe tobacco importers I deal with in India acquired Dan's blends for the market, but instead of the regular tins, he sent me this yesterday. What are your thoughts gentlemen?

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was always told to keep tobacco out of the sunlight, so I can't see how shipping in a clear jar is condusive to that. Yes, I store tobacco in clear jars, but away from sunlight.

Seems like it would add a shipping cost as well, as the glass jar is heavier than a metal tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Repackaged bulk, I suppose. Unless India has some sort of packaging restriction...probably just this guy’s entrepreneurial spirit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mike @eric Sounds like repackaged bulk to me as well. Surprisingly the label also carries "Not For Sale" text on it as well. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just noticed the lids too - what's with the dents?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mike I guess the crimping/sealing of the lid didnt went good on these tins. Thankfully the seal is good and the leaf is moist.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Looks very fishy to me, in any case.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first thought is that if it drops, it is a total loss. I would not try to salvage loose tobacco with a sprinkling of broken glass.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheapest jars they could find.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shipping jars can't be that big of a deal, but those dented lids look suspect.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Davy Jones The importer is one of the biggest in India and the ONLY one still buying pipe tobacco for Indian Customers. With the recent changes in mail law, I am not literally smuggling pipe tobacco to India. My guess is that the tobacco came from Germany in bulk and was repackaged in India. The company is also STG's official importer for India so his reputation is impeccable. Only thing is that his pipe tobacco knowledge is limited as the main import for India seems to be either cigars/snus/sheesha tobacco/chewing tobacco etc.

@winton yeah that was exactly my thought, but it would be replaced if the jars broken in transit. Also it saves me a few bucks when it comes to glass jars.

@3rdguy the jars are cheaper but quite airtight.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, greeneyes, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr