Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
These are the Uncle Arthur's I received today. These are my "Ward Cleaver" styled pipes (my name, not his). Conservative pipes, sized and shaped for a quiet smoke after work with the paper, Sunday morning with coffee on the back porch with the wife, or any time a man just needs to sit and chew on his thoughts a while....
imag1072.jpg

imag1073o.jpg

imag1074.jpg

imag1075.jpg

imag1076.jpg

imag1077t.jpg

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Very nice, beautiful grain, and the red is traditional while being a little different. Very well done to both of you.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Uncle Arthur is a true Mensch, by the way. Nothing more necessary to explain publicly. Although he would likely shrug it off, he knows a specific reason for which I speak it in this case.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Very nice, some day I'm getting one from Him. I can drive to His house We both live in the same state. I just have to wait for My retirement checks to start coming.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Uncle Arthur, you just keep getting better and better, beautiful pipes :clap:

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
"If my son was only here right now, i feel I could give him better advice than usual to ignore...."
I'm sorry portascat, what were you saying . . .

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
as noted in another thread...
The red Ward Cleaver smoked a full bowl (and it is a nice large bowl) to Prince Albert down to white ash and just a few expected pieces of dottle. There was really nothing left in the bowl to smoke, or try to smoke. I smoked on it well over an hour with a few expected "put downs" and the required relights, but I had no issues at all with the tobacco burning, constant relights, or the like.
The draw was smooth and a touch "big", but that is not to be considered an issue. Mostly that it draws in a really good place of draft and smoke. Easy puffing.
It is a very nice size, weight, and balance. I am a fan of the straight pipe, obviously, and this one is about all that one could ask of a straight pipe.
I won't quote a price paid, but it was very affordable. And especially so when considering what is out there at the price point for this pipe. And, since it is a hand made, there may be some similar to it, but none that are really the same.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
The second, smaller pipe, smokes just as well as the first. A few more re-lights, but I blame the Lame Aye Kew for that.
Easy draw, nice balance, good puffing.
Smaller bowl on it. Maybe a touch more volume than a Savoy, but not much more. Not really a pipe for a quick smoke, but not a long hour puffer by any means.
Size wise, it would be a good pipe to tote if you were heading off somewhere you might get a chance to take a pipe break, but didn't want the bulk of a larger pipe in your pocket or pouch. As well, being straight and with lots of smooth and rounded edges, it would likely carry comfortably, and not get snagged up in a coat pocket or similar. I need to keep this in mind for such a situation in the future.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Your workmanship is very good Uncle,2 handsome pipes! really like the stain and grain - "A true Artisan"!

Status
Not open for further replies.