PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Brigham Klondike Gold, Wessex Brigade Campaign, Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Capstan Blue, both of the Astley flakes, every one of Peter Heinrich's, John Aylesbury's flakes, and even Dunhill Flake are all out of stock at SP.com, and most have been for months. Even Rotary's Luxury Navy Flake, and Sillem's Mayor 1814 flake are approaching backorder status, and those two are pretty obscure.
So... can someone please tell me why it's so hard to get these blends stocked? I understand if they sell out in four hours, but it's like these houses just stopped making their most popular tobaccos... and I need some Virginia flakes damnit. It's practically impossible to build a cellar when you're never able to order what you want to cellar.
Rant over.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo lo - Not to mention Holger Dansk Royal Navy Flake, which still appears on their ads. If you have Mason jars to spare,go for Altadis #507 Virginia Slices, Boswell's Virginia Slice or Iwan Ries IRC Virginia Flake. These are quite similar, as is the underhyped Capstan Gold (which won the CORPS2014 blind tasting in its category).
hp

les

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks les, I'll keep that in mind. I'll definitely give some thought to the Boswell's and Iwan Ries Flakes... I was just hoping to take advantage of the IPSD sale today, combined with free shipping. Actually... nearly every time I hope to take advantage of a sale, I find that there's nothing (or NOT MUCH, to be fair) to be taken advantage of. I got lucky that SP ran a "Dunhill Flake" sale, after their "10% off all Dunhill Tobacco's" sale, during which, Dunhill Flake was unavailable for the entirety of said sale.
I e-mailed them :lol: Told 'em if it sounds like I'm griping, it's because I am, but since they are also lovers of pipe tobacco, they should understand, and extend to me their sympathy. 8)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
lostandfound:
You need to sign up for SP's e-mail alerts for when blends come in stock -- and then be prepared to buy immediately. I know the Cut VA Plug was in stock within the last month or so, since I got a notice for it.
Iwan Ries is showing stock on Capstan Blue, Dunhill Flake, and the Aylesbury, BTW. And they have Heinrichs Curly and Golden Sliced, as well as Sillem's Mayor. (I didn't check every blend on your OP, though.)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.