PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Picked up this pipe today from a local vintage store, quite a decent size pipe. Not much information about the brand out there but obviously a second, would anyone hazard a guess as to the age?
U3YZvzj.jpg

oGoCahb.jpg

SsGfbDr.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My ex-wife said it's either me or your pipe collection. I considered that a win-win.
My wife told me it's either my cigars and pipes or her. With a few tears rolling down my face, I told her there would definitely be times I'd miss her.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Take my wife.....please!
Well, back to the pipe itself- looks like quite a long split in the front of the stummel. How deep does it go? Is the inside of the bowl (the chamber) intact?

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I looked closely at the 'split' but it is only just on the surface, more like a scratch and doesn't seem to have any depth to it. THe bowl is quite large so I may not be smoking it right away, might have to work up to it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That bit of rustication is odd, though maybe it's their version of a quaint. Also looks to have a crack in the interior wall near the rim. (?)

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I guess the rusticated area was the reason it was downgraded, other than that it seems like a solid piece of briar. No crack near the rim, just the grain lines. I'll probably not use this right away and look for a couple more estate pipes to use. I'm a bit limited for choice without spending a coupla hundred on a new pipe, even used ones are not so common around here.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"That bit of rustication is odd, though maybe it's their version of a quaint."
That bit of rustication looks to be so random, an afterthought if you like, tells me there was an awful flaw in that area.
I've never been a fan of part rusticated pipes for that very reason. Give me one or t'other.
I'm sure it will be a great smoker, or at least hope it is but it's just my cup of tea.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.