PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I know I am a very new member, in addition to being a shiny new n00b to pipe smoking, but I am compelled to post a review of a pipe that has brought me nothing but joy and perfect smokes to the ashes so far...
While definitely a pipe novice, starting in earnest about two weeks ago, I happen to know my way around a good cigar and am a frequent patron of the delights to had in a B&M - affording me a decent familiarity with pipe makers and their relative wares. Typically, I might be found enjoying a Davidoff no.2 while leering at a gorgeous (and pricey) DH pipe, while mussing "I should really start smoking a pipe..."
So, while searching the web for a second "starter" pipe - something cheap enough that I wouldn't obsess about ruining via my ineptitude - I happened to run across a pipe maker I'd never heard of, Ukrainian Souvenir.
At first, I was slightly put off by the name. Really, what else does "souvenir" in the name of the product invoke rather than "kitsch" or "cheap." The fact that I happened to find it on Amazon was not a point in its favor either. Still, the very novelty of the name hooked my attention, and I was soon off to Google to search for mention of this mysterious maker. I was disappointed. Beyond a random mention of these pipes - in this forum actually :) - all I could find was the awkwardly translated site of Ukrainian Souvenir itself.
Ukrainian?

Colloquial nuances were obviously lost in the Ukrainian to English translation. I was greeted by a cavalcade of awkward phrasing, including the introduction:

For a few years we are trying to gladden you with wide range of Ukrainian souvenirs.

It was an odd read to say the least - the new products section only in Ukrainian - and worst yet, they had almost no information about their pipes beyond:

In the shop “Ukrainian Souvenirs” you can buy different pipes made of fruit sorts of wood.

Well...excellent that...at least I was sure they were wood... (I felt quite stupid later, upon reexamining their product pages on amazon, they are quite good in their product descriptions about explaining the materials used.) And, even though the phrasing was awkward, a definite enthusiasm for their pipes managed to make it across the language barrier in their translated text.
But, I couldn't get beyond how wondrous their pipes looked in the pictures. Even the outlandish offerings had a definite air of artistry about them...so...I found myself drawn in. My non-corncob pipe was a Mr. Brog, so I was already familiar, to a degree, with the qualities of pear wood pipes. And, being so inexpensively priced, I was soon convinced that it was worth the chance to give Ukrainian Souvenir a chance at my patronage.
The pipe I settled on was the Ukrainian Souvenir 'Volcano' (pictured below). Oddly, my initial reaction to the pipe was not positive. I wasn't a fan of the carving (I tend to prefer simple, clean, and straightforward designs - call it a modernist aesthetic) and it looked a bit awkward. Yet, like the brand itself, I felt more drawn to the design as time, and additional views of the product page went on. And, at the price, I couldn't say no.

2013-04-17-124750-600x450.jpg

Ukrainian Souvenir 'Volcano' - Pear-wood, ebonite (vulcanite) stem, 5.5" long, 2 1/4" high, Bowl (1.5" deep/0.75"wide)
The Unboxing...err, Unenveloping?

When my Volcano arrived, I was a bit concerned. The packing monkeys at Amazon (UrKS has fulfillment by Amazon for U.S. customers) shipped my new toy in nothing more than a small padded envelope, which looked much the worse for wear. I feared for my much awaited contents and hurriedly tore open the packaging. To my relief, all seemed to be well, and to my joy, the pipe looked even better in person!
Upon grasping the Volcano for the first time, I was immediately stuck at how nice it felt in my hand - almost ergonomic in grip. I was also pleasantly surprised by the stem, having expected a cheap acrylic, I found a decent ebonite (vulcanite). Finally, I was pleasantly greeted by the weight of the pipe itself, a nice heft which seemed to give it an agreeable balance. I was eager to try it out.

2013-04-17-125047-600x450.jpg

(The pipe fits very comfortably in the hand, it's almost ergonomic)
The next night, I got the chance to start breaking in my Volcano. For the task I chose some newly acquired bulk from my B&M (Georgetown Tobacco Reverie for those interested). I noticed, prior to filling the bowl, that the pipe has a coating. The chamber of the bowl is a bit narrow, but is quite deep and takes a decent amount of tobacco - enough that I would call it a medium length smoker. Using my trusty zippo, I did my charring light, enjoying the first smells of the Reverie and noting the smooth draw through the stem.

2013-04-17-1529331-487x600.jpg

(Georgetown Tobacco Reverie)
The First Third

Tamping down the char, I began my true light and was immediately launched into a delight of flavors, vanilla and maple permitting the smoke. This part of the smoke was all about the tobacco, the first flavors bursting in a creamy and velvety vapor. At this stage, the pipe performed well, giving a fantastic draw, cool and fresh. At this point, the pipe was giving me my favorite smoking experience of my young pipe career.
The Second Third

As I entered the 2nd third of the bowl, the Reverie started to become more complex, dealing a smooth a mellow flavor from the Burley, while the Cavendish continued to provide the sweeter notes. But here a surprise (yes...a surprise, first time breaking in pipes - the joy of discovery?), another flavor stated creeping in, something woody, with a dry sort of sweetness that was wholly different from the tobacco - yet melded superbly with it. As it continued, I realized, with a start, that I was tasting the pear wood of the pipe! Now, I am used to wood notes in a smoke, but usually something with a pine or other hardwood type flavor. Fruit wood is a new experience. At this point, I had my only relight - quite an accomplishment for me so far! Neither the tobacco or the pipe seemed to be overly effected, both smooth back out quickly. So far, this smoke was turning to be one of the most enjoyable of my whole smoking career - cigars included.
The Final Third

As I entered the final act of the smoke, the Pipe's bowl remained warm - but not hot - rather comfy in my hand. (I will mention that I've noticed a bit of a hotspot on the backside towards the left - but it isn't bad). And this is where the smoke really started to get interesting. A new flavor emerged from the Reverie, refined and mature (I want to say it was the Virginias really starting to show) and the taste of the pear wood grew stronger and stronger.
It...was...simply..................fantastic.
I actually had trouble smoking too quickly, greedily puffing away on this divine combination of flavors. At this point, I simply sat back in my chair, closed my eyes and listened to the birds while bathed in one of the single best smoking experiences in my life. The only thing that compares is the two hours it took to smoke my first Davidoff Aniversario no.1 (oddly, I think both took place on lawn chairs...). I wish I could tell you how long it took to finish this bowl, but frankly, I lost track.

2013-04-17-124808-600x450.jpg

(My Volcano about three bowls into the shakedown)
The Verdict

So...How do I rate this pear wood pipe from the oddly named Ukrainian Souvenir? Well, it may not be the best pipe ever made, but it is certainly my new favorite. I can't quite seem to put it down and get to work on my new Savinelli briar. At the price UrKS offers these pipes, I would heartily recommend anyone consider giving these a try!
Afterthoughts and Additional Notes

I'm still not sure if UrKS produces their own pipes or use independent craftsmen/producers to fill their stock. Below is a picture of the makers mark, if anyone can help me out with that. Additionally, upon further study of their product pages, it seems most of the UrKS pipes have ebonite stems and are chambered for a seemingly optional filter - I smoked my volcano sans filter (in fact it didn't come with a filter either), and it obviously did great.

2013-04-17-124922-600x450.jpg

(Closeup shot of the Volcano's maker's mark)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
oklansas, that's an interesting report with good pictures on your Ukrainian Souvenir pear wood pipe. It seems

a lot better than you would have expected. The vulcanite stem is a good omen and should give it some

longevity, and pear wood seems to be one of the more successful non-briar bowl/shank materials. I would

be interested to hear how it breaks in over time. The advantage of the traditional briar woods is that they

often last most of a lifetime, and with other woods, that is more uncertain. I still have a Tinder Box house

pipe made of briar that is the first one I smoked, about 40 years ago. But this is a worthy experiment, and

the pipe looks distinctive. I have bought two pipes with bowls of Mountain Laurel, which is a North American

native plant that was used for pipe bowls most notably during World War II when the standard briar from

Europe was no longer available because of the war. Mountain Laurel is becoming more scarce, but does a

fine job; one of the pipes I've had over ten years and it's as good as any briar for holding up and smokes

among the best of my mostly briar pipes. Maybe post again when you have learned more about this pipe.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for your very complete review. I bought a pipe (what they called a "drop" shape) from these folks several months ago, have smoked it several times and am very pleased with it.
It seems that the Eastern European countries are emerging sources for good pipes in a variety of woods at quite reasonable prices. I also bought an oakwood pipe made in Poland, and a beautiful briar made in Ukraine (for only $55; found it on Ebay.) I've been very pleased with them all.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nice and I have smoked Reverie for nearly 20 years since the day I walked into Georgetown Tobacco's Shop while we were staying at a B&B around the corner. Great shop, great people, excellent tobacco's. I had to stop smoking the pipe when I started Chemo as it really hurt my mouth so I packed up a new 1 lb package of Reverie, I began smoking the pipe again late last year and while aromatics generally don't cellar well the aged Reverie was superb and I immediately purchased another lb to test it against. I suggest putting some away for 5 years and you won't be sorry, enjoy your pipe.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@mso489

Maybe post again when you have learned more about this pipe.

I hope too, I am really interested to see where it goes. I read so much about the ''supremacy' of briar, that I think it may have lowered my expectations of other woods.
@4dotsasieni

I also bought an oakwood pipe made in Poland, and a beautiful briar made in Ukraine (for only $55; found it on Ebay.)

Oakwood is one of the alternatives I would like to try - how does it handle? Also, I've read some accounts of olive wood that seem fairly positive, and leave me very curious. If my experience with pear is any guide, I look forward to some surprises.
@fishnbanjo

I suggest putting some away for 5 years and you won't be sorry

Frankly, I think I'm hooked. I enjoyed this smoke enough that I think I'll be a bit sad when the volcano is broken in and don't get hints of raw pear anymore.
Thanks for the feedback folks, hope you enjoyed the review and didn't read too long-winded.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"Oakwood is one of the alternatives I would like to try - how does it handle? Also, I've read some accounts of olive wood that seem fairly positive, and leave me very curious. If my experience with pear is any guide, I look forward to some surprises."
The oak pipe was a surprise -- it smoked really hot the first bowl or two, and I was sure I was on the way to a burnout - but what actually happened was that the grain became enhanced, apparently because of the heat. There was also a bit of a wood taste at first, but that wasn't unpleasant, and now it's puffing away just fine.
This is where I found it: http://stores.ebay.com/house-of-pipe?_rdc=1 but right now they don't have any oakwoods listed. Here's a picture of the pipe, and it only cost $18!
qnpush.jpg

ryanpblyth

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
My first pipe was Oak - total piece of crap. But it was ten bucks, with a pipe tool and 1.5oz of 1-Q included. I had the same experience with the grain popping out from heat and moisture - looks kind of cool but ruined the fit of the stem, and it's no longer smooth on the outside. I feel like I must have burned it out too, as it has never created any cake and is always ashy, can never get it to smoke cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the subject of alternate woods, Cup o Joes offers rosewood pipes for $20 including pipe bag and stand. They

don't offer much detail. For example, I'm not sure where these pipes are made, and I haven't read much about

how rosewood holds up as a pipe bowl. But the pipes are distinctive and attractive. The price is right. My

only misgiving is clutter. I have several dozen good briar pipes and well-loved cobs, and I don't want extras

that will just kick around the racks or end up in drawers. Briar is such an excellent material for the purpose,

it almost seems laborious to try other things. But as a first pipe or a pipe for rotation early in ones pipe smoking,

it's a worthy pursuit. Something else, or various other woods, might turn out to be as good. I don't do Brylon.

A noble idea but just too synthetic for my taste. (Brylon is a manufactured material developed and used in the

U.S. when imported briar became unavailable during World War II, when lots of men smoked pipes. I hope I have

this right -- it may have been developed earlier, but put into greater use during WWII. Brylon is usually made as

a thinner walled bowl than briar, and is hotter to the touch. Most Brylon pipes are less expensive than even

economy priced briar pipes.)

Jan 8, 2013
Even though i'm still a noobie, I wouldn't recommend those pipes to anyone. I had two of them. Both broke. One cracked the length of the shank. I was quite pleased with them both at first.. they both smoked very well, all the way down to a fine ash (with Captain Black white)needing very few relights. Unfortunately they both ended in disaster, dying an early death. I doubt I'll spend money on another. I've mentioned them before on this site. Still... the one you have is quite nice looking, and I do hope you have better luck with yours than I did. They do smoke very well, to the point that I thought I was an instant pipe smoking master. But don't be too disappointed if yours break.

Status
Not open for further replies.