PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Last week someone posted some videos on YouTube of old pipe tobacco commercials. While I had seen them before they are some of my favourites and it got me thinking. I would like to try the "patron saint of pipe smokers" and I'd like to experience my very own "condor moment". So I ordered a sample of some venerable UK tobaccos that are unavailable on this side of the pond. Shipping was cheaper than order from the states and it came faster, although the tobacco prices are somewhere between US and Canadian prices.
Anyways I have a pouch of Condor Mild (or blended as it is now known), a pouch of St. Bruno and a pouch of Gold Block sitting in front of me. The St Bruno and Condor are very wet, very strong Lakeland smells to them, while the Gold Block is much drier, no Lakeland smell that I can detect and has an interesting pouch note that I just can't place my finger on. Can't wait to try them!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
We can buy it online through a UK vendor who is willing to ship there. The whole process was rather smooth.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Do not put the Condor in any pipe you want to smoke anything else in, ever.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Teddy, if you mean why did I choose to order them? Really no good reason other than seeing those old time commercials with those blends in them. I also wanted to try something different and one of the gentlemen at our pipe club mentioned he used to smoke St Bruno and enjoyed it. His tastes in tobacco are similar to mine so I figured I may as well try it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ya I had a partial bowl last night and I would tend to agree, I was a little light headed after it. I think that will be reserved for a small bowled pipe to be had after a large meal. Not sure if I like it yet, the stuff is absolutely dripping wet so it will need some significant drying time to be properly enjoyed.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Gold Schluck! Nasty stuff but handy if you are ever lost in the desert as you could probably ring a glass of water out of a tin of that stuff!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Condorlover1, in my limited experience (one pouch of each of the three) the Gold Block was the only one smokeable out of the pouch as the other two were literally dripping wet. When I grabbed a pinch of either Condor or St Bruno my fingers were actually moist after squeezing the tobacco. I couldn't have lit a bowl of either if I was using a blow torch! I will dry a bowl's worth out of each and try them. As for the Condor ghost, we have first hand experience with it at our pipe club and a fellow member had to retort his pipe several times, salt & alcohol treat it as well as ream the bowl and the ghost still lived on! I believe he said it took 10 bowls before he could taste anything but condor!
I will be using some cobs until I determine whether I like either blend enough to dedicate a briar to them.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@brdavidson that is very strange as I have never had wet Condor unless I screwed up and stuck too many water stones in the pouch. Was it the UK stuff or the Spanish Condor?

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Simon was gracious to send me a pouch of Condor about a month ago, and I must say I liked it for what it is. Mine was not dripping wet, although I did let it sit out an hour before loading it. I had a few relights, but nothing worse than what I normally do. It's good stuff. Thanks Simon!(Condorlover) :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Condorlover, not sure how to tell to be honest. I ordered from a UK shop so I'm assuming it is the UK production but I could be wrong. It is also the Condor Blended (or mild as I am led to believe) so don't know if that is the difference.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
O'god. Not the 'Blend'. The tobacco that tastes like sucking farts from swans. I reviewed it a few days ago whilst visiting Austria. Also known as 'Condo Mild'. Probably alright if mixed with Condor green or used to balance a table with one leg shorter than the other.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Unfortunately the smell of Condor in the green pouch had me running for the hills, this is a little less sledge hammer like in it's intensity so I will actually contemplate smoking it. To each their own right?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
:rofl: Thats right trailboss every pack of Condor is worn inside my Y fronts for an absolute minimum of three days before cellaring or being sent out to the consumer and that does not include the smuggling options used to get the stuff on the plane - thank god they don't use square tins these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.