PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Guys recently on visits to museums I have had the opportunity to go to a couple of UK tobacco shops and wished to share some thoughts. Feel free to add yours.
John Hollingsworth Celtenham. Great stock of tobaccos loose and in tins, service was a bit neutral and indifferent, plenty of nice pipes Rattrays, Parker, Peterson etc. Best of all its a small shop in a shopping centre/ mall surrounded by all the usual generic shops. I bought a tin of Punchbowle and some Zippo bits. Cheltenham Museum and Art Gallery has a room devoted to Dr Edward Wilson who died with Captain Scott, and an amazing collection of Arts and Crafts Movement items.
Fredrick Tranter in Oxford is very quaint with good service and a reasonable choice of tobaccos, a good selection of pipes including many Dunhill items. It also has a cigar room. I bought a tin of Dunhill flake and some loose Balkan flake. Oxford needless to say is also worth a visit. In the Ashmolean Museum they have many terrific Japanese items and wonderful rooms of Anglo Saxon, Celtic and Medieval treasures.
Im hoping to visit Cardiff tobacconist and museum next week to see the studio pottery, Standing stones and buy some Rattrays tobacco.

owen

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds better than we could expect in cities of similar size in the U.S., mostly. It's hard to beat Lowland (SP), Iwan Ries, and Nat Sherman. I suspect that Iwan Ries has the world's largest selection of pipes at a retail site -- I think around 12K.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
For those that have never visited:

A big stuffed bear in the window,shop split half and half with cigars and other smoking and shaving stuff.

Shop used to be round the corner, near the bus station, when they moved they brought the interior, all dark wood and glass cabinets.

Friendly, helpful staff with a good range of stock.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
It is my local tobacconist. I do not get there as often as I would like though.

owen

May 28, 2014
Its marvellous in there and the woman serving was very helpful. Its in a lovely spot too.

owen

May 28, 2014
A E Lloyds of Aberystwyth today. Macbarrens HH Latakia Flake. A lovely shop with a good stock of tins and a nice cigar section.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I have been in Lloyd's a couple of times, a decent little shop.

We often holiday near Rhayader.
I was in Bath the other day and visited Tranters, next to the Abbey.

A tiny, but well stocked shop.

Same owners as the Bear shop in Cardiff.

Staff in the Cardiff shop are the best.

owen

May 28, 2014
Darth I quite agree. Funnily enough my missus was in Bath the other day and mentioned it. I guess there must be some crackers in London.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
If you make it to Taunton, there is a decent shop up the side street opposite Debenhams.
Further North, to Oldham, there is a tobacconist in the indoor market which has a decent selection of tins and loose.

Their pipes are in a knee high cabinet at the till and awkward to view properly.

owen

May 28, 2014
Just recently visited Frederick Tranter in Bath, more a booth than a shop but a fair stock, so I bought Dunhill deluxe navy rolls. Also back in Carmarthen the shop now has sliding doors so you cannot see the tobacco and have to choose from a menu.
Back in Aberystwyth picked up some old gowrie, and a loose broken flake called escudo de luxe which the lady told me is a recreation of a discontinued blend.

macfeegle

Lurker
Jul 23, 2015
Just visited Greens of Leeds this morning, they are the B&M outlet of Smoke-king, nice well stocked shop in the city centre with helpful staff. Managed to get out after 30 minutes having limited myself to a spare bowl for my Falcon, a tin of Squadron Leader and one of Dunhill Baby's Bottom plus pipe cleaners. Can see this getting expensive if I visit there and the one in Manchester regular, just my luck to be bang right in the middle of 2 great shops. I've visited the one on Oldham market before, he has a good selection of tobbacos.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Hi, macfeegle and welcome.

My in-laws are from Oldham, so get to visit there and Manchester a couple of times a year.

macfeegle

Lurker
Jul 23, 2015
Thanks Darthcider, grew up in Oldham myself so I used that shop regular when I first started with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.