PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I'm starting my day with a bowl of Uhle's Big Dipper blend in a Nording Signature pipe. Its a aromatic with a sweet chocolate/vanilla taste that doesn't cover up the tobacco underneath. If one pairs it with a stiff black coffe or tea, its the perfect day starter. Rich tasting and smokey, I highly recommend it.
I was looking through my stash this morning and quickly realized just how many of my blends are Uhle's.
http://www.uhles.com/pipetobacco.htm
I stumbled upon them through an eBay estate purchase several years ago. I won a pipe and Googled their name to see where they are based. Good ol' Wisconsin. I'm in Iowa...my pipe shouldn't take more than a few days to arrive. I decided I would see if they would add some tobacco to the box, since I was paying for a shipping charge anyway...might as get some thrown in. I was leaning toward some tins, but the nice young lady I spoke with encouraged me to try some of their house blends. Most B&Ms have house blends and they ate, in my opinion...mostly following the same track. We chatted a little and talked about what I was smoking and what I liked/disliked. She told me she would fix up a sampler of their aro/non-aro blends, about 12 different blends. I don't remember the cost, but it was reasonable enough and I decided to take a chance and order a big sample of untried tobaccos.
I was pleasently surprised by all the blends. Not a dud in the lot. A few months went by and I decided I'd reorder some of my favorites. I went back to the website to make an order and ...what? No online ordering? In this day and age?
It is refreshing to do business with a company that seeks out phone conversations with real live people on the other end. Old fashioned, but one ends up building a relationship that leads to some pretty darn deep seated loyalty. Uhle's is down right sneaky, in that regard.
More time than I'd care to calculate has passed by, since that first order, and I'm a big fan of Uhle's blends. A quick glance at Tobacco Reviews will prove I'm far from alone in my assessment of their work.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand_detail.cfm?ALPHA=U&BID=109
If you are looking for some new blends, I'd suggest giving them a call.
Their Bishop's Move just might be the best American version of an English blend.
Ever.

msw1

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
I was in Milwaukee a couple of years ago and, wandering around downtown, stumbled upon Uhle's. It's a great old B&M, right by the river. Of course, their smoking lounge was populated by cigar smokers only, but they had a nice selection of tobaccos and pipes and were very friendly. As a latakia smoker, they suggested Bishop's Move. I didn't want to go into the smoker's lounge, because I knew I'd come out smelling from cigars, so I just hung at the counter after filling my pipe and puffing the BM. They were very mellow about it. BM didn't quite do it for me for my regular English blend, but it was certainly a quality mixture. And the atmosphere of the store made me want to return there if I ever get back to Milwaukee.

Status
Not open for further replies.