PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Hi, there-
I have been lurking for a while, but this my first post. I have smoked pipe for a few years, but I live in a rural area that makes it somewhat difficult to get new pipes and tobacco. The B&M in town carries quite a few varieties of bulk Lane and I have recently persuaded them to carry some Mac Baren. They recently started carrying 20oz bags of Uhle's. I am little hesitant to purchase such a large quantity without some advice. The store has sold Uhle's pipes for a while, but I haven't given them a try, no offense to anyone that might smoke a Uhle's pipe, but I couldn't pay the same amount for a Uhle's pipe as I would for a antique shell Savinelli. Does anyone have any thoughts on Uhle's tobacco? The bags are sealed, so I can't even get a sense of smell or moisture.
Also, this question I have been meaning to ask for a while. My favorite Lane bulk in my B&M is, "Blend 27". I have searched all over for other stores that sell Blend 27 and have google searched the hell out of it, but I can't seem to find another tobacco called "Blend 27". I am only speculating, but I am wondering if it is the Lane 1Q, that so many people mention, for various reasons. It's been mentioned that lane 1Q goes by many names. Would anyone have any insight on Lane Blend 27? I've asked the clerk and he insists a Lane product.
Thanks in advance!

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
What kinds of blends to you enjoy? :?:
I have smoked Uhle's blends for decades and bought both their Aromatic and English style blends. I can offer several suggestions if I knew a little about what you like. Per rothnh's suggestions, Bishop's Move is fabulous, unless you don't like that style....then probably not so much.
If you are a 1Q fan, Uhle's have several nice blends that are similar.
Looking forward to your rely! :puffpipe:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
If you live outside of Wisconsin, ordering from Uhle's is a snap! Inside Wisconsin, we have to pay a 71% excise tax and Uhle's is virtually unaffordable at about $84.00 for 14 ounces (not even a pound!). That being said, I smoke two of Uhle's Blends. Bishop's Move and Golden Shag. I have great respect for all of Uhle's Blends and have smoked almost all of them since 1965. However, in the past several years, I have since developed my own series of blends (3) with the help of the late Craig Tarler of Cornell and Diehl and no longer care to pay the huge excise tax for blends purchased as a resident within Wisconsin. You really can't go wrong with anything from Uhle's. It is a "class" high-end tobacco shop and worth your investment (if located outside of Wisconsin) to avoid this horrible excise tax!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I"m a big fan of Uhle's pipe tobaccos. They do aromatics exceptionally well. So far I've tried Blend #300, Blend #44, Hunt Club, Karen Club, Old Shoe Blend, Par Shooter Blend, and Seven Star Big Dipper. They have all been terrific. Have you checked their web site?
I'm not familiar with Land Blend 27. You might want to check with your B&M store again to make sure what you're describing isn't Altadis B27 Smooth Black & Golden Cavendish.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Thank you for all of your advise and feedback. I'm stopping by my local shop today to press them one more time on the "Blend 27".
Mlaug, I smoke a lot of aromatic, but I do enjoy belnds that incorporate latakia. From reading the reviews on the link that Rothnh provided, I am inclined to try the Marquette Blend and BJ's Cavendish Blend. The reviews on the Bishop's were outstanding, however, and I am waffling on giving it a try. I cut my teeth on aromatics, mainly because that's what my grandpa smoked and he's the inspiration for my love of pipe smoking. I haven't had many strict english/latakia options locally to branch out on, but I probably should start that journey to see if it's something I enjoy. With that said, I apprecaite and suggestions you are willing to offer.
Captain Bob, the situation you described sounds terrible. I live an hour away from the WI border in Upper Michigan, I didn't realize the WI tax issues until you just described them.
Thanks again for all of your advise and time, this was very helpful.
Jeff

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
jeff - Uhle's in indeed a fine shop with great house blended tobaccos. The late Bob Runowski, who knew much about tobaccos, especially burleys, told me their Perfection Plug Burley was the finest of that genre still available. That is considerable praise since he loved Edgeworth and developed a lot of famous blends with C&D (Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd among others).
Some of the old Uhle's pipes were made in their baaement by the eponymous owner, though now I think some of them are made by Savinelli, whom they have a close relationship with.
hp

les

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Jeff - If you don't want the large 20 oz. bulk purchases from the local B&M, Uhle's lets you order online now. Unless you're a WI resident, that might be an option.
http://www.uhles.com/
They used to only have phone orders and were great at setting up a variety of blends to try if you were new. I talked to a very nice woman on my first call, years ago, and still remember how helpful she was. She asked what I was smoking, what I liked, and then made suggestions of their own blends to try. It was marvelous!
I would suggest giving them a call and let them set up a sampler pack for you. Lots of blends to try and smaller quanities to commit money towards.
Have 'em throw in a couple of ounces of Bishop's Move, nothing to lose and you'll at least know what the rest of us are talking about. :puffpipe:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Unfortunately, due to Michigan law, Uhle's doesn't do mail order to Michigan addresses. Does the B&M only sell the 20oz bags? I'm curious why they don't break them open and sell them by the ounce...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
BTW, Bishop's move is one of my favorites. My last smoke, in fact. It's a dry, tangy, smokey English blend -- not sweet at all.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Hey Pitchfork - After some haggling, the B&M is going to special order me a few Uhle's flavors. I am going to give the Bishop's Move a try. I also don't understand why they wont open the large bags to sell bulk.
Thanks to all for all your help!

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Super news Jeff! Be sure and report back when you've tried some and share your impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.