PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So I've been into some burley lately, like MacBaren London Blend and Solani Aged Burley Flake, and in the back of the tobacco drawer I see a jar of Uhle's Crushed White Burley. I bought an ounce and a half when I was passing through Milwaukee a few months ago, smoked a bowl and forgot about it. I fired up a bowl this morning and was pleased.
The stuff is old timey, it smells like the back room where the deals are made and the work gets done. The tobacco is no bull, cube cut, father knows best, working stiff nine to five. It is an honest man's blend.
Anyway, I'm thinking of putting up a pound or so. I'm also thinking about trying their Bishop's Move english blend, and maybe their perfection plug. Any thoughts?

uhles-cwb-600x448.jpg

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
That looks really good. I've not tried it yet. The only pure burley I've smoked are mostly those drug store brands. So many blends out there and tobacconists!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Perfection Plug is a cube-cut burley with a very light topping (plum?, rum?). It's very good, just barely sweet, and is probably similar to the Crushed White Burley.
Blend 00 is wonderful, high-quality, plain burley. Soft, nutty, easy to smoke -- and it blends nicely with other burleys or with VAs or VaPers. One of the very best around.
Bishop's Move is one of my all-time favorites. The "monopoly Turkish" has this savory tang that is very satisfying. Highly recommend it.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Uhle's blend 255 has a fair amount of liquorice flavoring but not overpowering and blend 300 is a fantastic sweet nutty flavored burley. Those are my two favorites from these masters of burley tobacco. I also have PPB (Perfection Plug Burley) and blend 00 on hand. If you like Burley, Uhle's is one of the best, you can't go wrong with any of their blends IMO. Price wise they are at the top of the scale for Burley blends but IMO worth it.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
My favorite Uhle's Blend is Bishop's Move. But, all of Uhle's Blends are excellent in my opinion. It is simply a matter of taste. They have what will please you! The problem is the 71% excise tax for Wisconsin Residents. It is a deterent. I am thankful that I stocked up on my favorite Uhle's Blends before the 71% Excise Tax went in to effect. We're talking about a lot of money here for Wisconsin residents! We are talking $72.95 for 14 ounces!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
We are talking $72.95 for 14 ounces!
OMG, that's scary, it sounds like what our Northern brothers have to pay for their tobacco.

It really is time to cellar all we can because IMO this trend will surely spread throughout the country eventually.

Damn. 8O

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I bought in a small quantity just to try it (3 ounces) so I guess the tax didn't amount to much, plus it is a Brick and Mortar so I assumed things were more expensive.
Taxes aside, I find the blend to be a solid smoke.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Huge thumbs up for Uhle's tobaccos. I've tried Perfection Plug, #00, #300, #44, Black Stoker, and Crushed White Burley. 00 and PP are my favorites.
Pity about the excessive tax for WI residents. I imagine this kills in-state sales.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Yes, if you are a resident of Wisconsin or Minnesota, you must pay $20.00 more per 14 ounces than residents of other States!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.