PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I ordered a Baofeng UV-82C to use at work since the radios we have are ok, but not great. It is a lot louder and has more features but I have one issue. I can communicate with all the other handhelds and the base station. I can hear all the other handhelds except for the base station. When I'm at home I live 2.5 miles from the site, I can key up the original radio I was issued and hear myself on the new handheld, however I can't return the call from the new handheld. I have the Freq the same on it, and the CTCS set on the transmit and receive both at 162.2Hz. I'm new to this area and set it up myself so far but a bit lost on what I've missed to hear the base station. Being as I can hear one but not the other when at home I'm inclined to think that it is a issue with not being able to send to the base station or maybe a repeater. Would I be able to run the DCS at the same time as the CTCS? I wouldn't think it was a freq shift (was reading something about those but confused) since the base can hear me at work.
I'm testing the capabilities out on this radio since it can scan secondary channels while staying on the primary one. I'm wanting to streamline our site for better communications. Thanks for any help.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I recommend smoking a fat bowl of fine tobacco, not thinking about the radio, until the answer pops into your head. :puffy: I think you missed a switch/monitor or some electronic thingy on your new toy. When all else fails...read the instructions. :)

puffdaddy

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
What frequency are you using?
When you are talking directly between two radios it is called simplex communication and both radios transmit and receive on the same frequency with no offset. When you are communicating through a repeater the radios will receive on one frequency but transmit on an offset frequency with with a positive or negative PL tone. All radios communicating via the repeater will have to be programmed with the same recieve frequency, the same positive or negative setting, and the same offset transmit frequency as determined by the repeater admin setting. If your radio is not set with the same offset and PL tone setting as the other radios you will hear them but not be able to transmit. Double check the settings required. You mentioned a 162.2 ctcs offset, but you may not have the correct tone set. It will either be + 162.2 or - 162.2.
Have you obtained your amateur tecnicians license from the FCC yet? Your radio operation requires an amateur HAM license. Your employer likely has a commercial radio permit to operate on one specific frequency only that covers the use of "Their Own" radios by their employees, but this will not cover you using the frequency for personal/non business related transmission and you will be in violation of FCC regulations when you use the radio for anything else. That radio has a lot of capability and it seems silly to use it for only 1 frequency and only for work. Likely it won't be long before you want to do other things with it and you'll need your license. If you find a local HAM radio club you can take the test for about 15 dollars. There are a lot of online study aids, it isn't that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.